France

allthumbs

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

worth taking this opportunity to point out that France and Germany have been rounding up dozens of al-Qaeda members in recent months, and in fact have been in the forefront of that part of the war on terror.... maybe that didnt get reported in US media in rush to demonize the French??

Dru said:

worth taking this opportunity to point out that France and Germany have been rounding up dozens of al-Qaeda members in recent months, and in fact have been in the forefront of that part of the war on terror.... maybe that didnt get reported in US media in rush to demonize the French??

worth pointing out that the Euro fucks let the situation of Al Qaeda cell growth in their countries happen in the first place, so STFU dumbass. And don't think that "American bastards" like myself are oblivious to the fact that Canadians are required to learn French. I reckon some of them even like it. Go club a seal, fuck a Newfie, overfish the one-time-most-productive-fishery-in-the-world, clear-cut your western forests (and ship the whole logs to Japan), or smoke and drink yourself into oblivion at the local club.

France became the strawman for the administration for disparaging and discrediting wide-spread worldwide political and popular sentiment against a US invasion of Iraq. Demonizing France (as opposed to Russia or China) was a choice intended to serve many of the same political purposes as demonizing Saddam or Osama: make the argument emotional, patriotic and personal.

And let's face it--the French are an easy target. Everyone loves to laugh at--and now hate the whiny, perfidious, self-interested French. I think it worked domestically to rally support for war, because after all, what red blooded American wants to take the side of France?! Especially if then by W's definition since you're not for us, you're against us in the battle between good and evil?

But I think the demonization of France backfired badly in the international realm. I think back to a couple months ago, when Rumsefeld was disparaging France "Old Europe, etc." Ultimately, despite our taunting (or maybe because of it), France lead the anti-US insurrection in the UN. And in the end, France basically won the battle for consensus in the UN, and that consensus was not supportive of US plans to invade Iraq.

Uncle_Tricky said:

France became the strawman for the administration for disparaging and discrediting wide-spread worldwide political and popular sentiment against a US invasion of Iraq. Demonizing France (as opposed to Russia or China) was a choice intended to serve many of the same political purposes as demonizing Saddam or Osama: make the argument emotional, patriotic and personal.

And let's face it--the French are an easy target. Everyone loves to laugh at--and now hate the whiny, perfidious, self-interested French. I think it worked domestically to rally support for war, because after all, what red blooded American wants to take the side of France?! Especially if then by W's definition since you're not for us, you're against us in the battle between good and evil?

But I think the demonization of France backfired badly in the international realm. I think back to a couple months ago, when Rumsefeld was disparaging France "Old Europe, etc." Ultimately, despite our taunting (or maybe because of it), France lead the anti-US insurrection in the UN. And in the end, France basically won the battle for consensus in the UN, and that consensus was not supportive of US plans to invade Iraq.

I think when it's all said and done, the demonization of France (as you have dubbed it) will have had a negligible effect on how this whole thing plays out.

RAT'S ASSES DECLARED VIABLE UNIT OF EXCHANGE

Ever had someone tell you they could give a rat's ass? Looks like you'll soon be able to hold them to it, if the Federal Reserve gets its way.

Longtime Fed chairman Alan Greenspan announced yesterday a plan for recognizing rat's asses as a new form of legal currency.

"It just makes good fiscal sense," said Greenspan. "We've got a lot of rats, and they've all got asses. People have wanted this for a long time."

"Sure, they're small," said Vinnie Bastille, a street corner punk in Brooklyn. "But this way you can keep a load of them in your pocket without it weighing down your pants. I'm going to have mine on a thin gold chain. Tell me that ain't cool."

The U.S. Mint has already devised plans for the new currency, which will be available in zinc, bronze, and collector silver. "We've got designs for a collector series ready to go," said a Mint spokesperson. "With faces of great, great men imprinted right on the rat ass. First up, Richard Nixon. And, when he dies, George, Sr., would be a natural for a rat's ass coin."

Some have expressed reservations over the new plan. "Most of the rat's are in poor areas," pointed out Donald Trump. "What's to keep the poverty stricken from ripping the ass right out of a rat and passing that off as real currency?"

PETA has also denounced the plan, saying, "Rats need asses. You can't just replace a lost rat ass. Believe us, we know."

Despite scattered opposition, it looks like the new currency will be approved and be widely available by the beginning of the year.

"Their tender, legal tender," said President Bush. "They're real, real tender."

"Rat's asses are coming," said Greenspan. "Believe me when I tell you, it won't be long until everyone who could give a rat's ass, will give a rat's ass."

yelrotflmao.gif