Difference b/w TNF expedition tents

ryland_moore

It looks like we are focusing on a 3-man expedition tent for Denali. Wondering if anyone out there has had experience with TNF Expedition 25, VE-25, or ambition 35. I know that the Expedition is the only one out of that bunch that has 2 doors, which can be beneficial, but what other benefits or cons do these tents have? The reason I ahve selected these as I have found them on sale on the internet. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a while I had a Moss Oddyset Assault, which is a 3 person dome tent like the NF ones you mentioned. it had two large doors and what was somewhat roomy. (very roomy for just 2) Anyway, I think they are on sale all over the place if you can still find one and it's a great tent that has the benifit of also being a lot lighter than the NF models you mention. The reflective guy lines and super-reinforced guy points were nice bonuses as well. Might be worth a look... bigdrink.gif

Ryland,

I had an Expedition 25 for about 4 years. It was a good tent. Pretty heavy and bulky, but most tents like that are. I found the fabric to be sewn pretty loosley. I used it in the Rockies, but personaly wouldn't trust it on a peak like Denali, I've heard that peak shreds tents.

If I were you I'd have a look at the Mt Hardwear Trango tents. Those things are bomber, you can really tension them own tight. Heavy also, but a much better design then the Expd-25.

I watched a buddy's brand-new VE-25 get destroyed in 100 mph winds up there. Several years later my several-year-old Integral Designs easily withstood the same conditions. The height of the VE-25 seemed to be a big factor.

Which route are you doing? Have a blast!!

Mark

Don’t know about Denali but in the white mountain of NH the wind can get pretty harsh

My partner tent Ambition 35 endure a gales of 100mph on Madison gulf (we learn that later when we got down at Pinkham notch) in the presidential range this winter if the tent stacked properly (which we did in the middle of the night… duhh…what were we thinking)

I have one of the new MSR Prophets which I took to Bolivia last year and had a good experience with. It's got 2 doors, decent sized vestibule and a true square floor plan that gives 3-4 people equal and ample amounts of head/foot room. It has a low profile that makes a big difference in heavy winds but has enough headroom for 4 to sit in a circle for cards.

Marko, you say you watched a buddy's new VE-25 get blown apart. Was it guyed out properly? Was their snow wall sufficient? I am asking because everyone I have talked to says that this tent is bomber but heavy. We are debating b/w the VE-25 and Trango 3.1. I own a Trango Assault but can just see myself going stir crazy in a small tent for a few weeks. I have done it on Aconcagua in that tent, and it was all we could do to get out of the tent every chance we got. It really sucked being in that small of a space during storm days. So, anyone used both of these and have a rec.? My one fault with MH tents is the clips for the tent poles. They can be a pain in the ass sometimes and getting them attached to the the fly is also a pain. I have never used TNF tent, but having sleeves for the tent poles seems like it would be easier. Suggestions?

I used a prototype VE-25 before they marketed them in stores. It was a heavy son of a bitch. There were some other features that I didn't like in the design but I was informed by some of the engineers that those kinks would be worked out so it may be a much better tent now.

The plusses for it were that it was very easy to set up with sleeves for the poles and all. They were color-coded making it even easier for those of us struggling to get something up in the dark, in a storm, or both. The storage space within the tent was done well also. I am 6'0" and slept comfortably within. It withstood rain and wind well.

The minuses: it was difficult getting in and out of the tent, especially if trying to do anything in the doorway (i.e. cooking, putting on boots). The headroom was a bit lacking. The vestibule was small and awkward to open from inside if you made it "storm proof".

For Denali, weight isn't so much of an issue if you're on the Buttress. You're using sleds and making carries. One thing you want to make sure of is that you set up your camp properly. You can normally see which direction the prevailing winds come from and should design your camp appropriately when possible. An adequate snow wall means just up to the same height or slightly lower than that of your tent. There are a dozen or so guy points on the VE-25. It's advisable to use them all. The first time I saw the bag of stakes I couldn't believe it. Bring along some soft stakes as well to help out.

(I'm not implying here that you don't know how to do this but I figured I'd spell it out for anyone who is less experienced and could benefit)

What about compared to the MH trango 3.1? No worries about the directions. Had lots of experience guying out tents and using both soft (stuff sacks and anchors) and oversized tent stakes, but always good info to relay! Nothing like repaeting information to drive it home. Thanks for all of your input! bigdrink.gif

I have an Expedition-25, but I haven't sat out any major storms in it, so I can't comment on its performance in crappy weather.

It has enough room for three people, but for a long trip I'd probably only want to have two in it. On the other hand, it's a bit too bulky and heavy for just two people to carry.

The round doors are probably good from a structural point of view, but are a pain when getting in and out cause you have to step/crawl over the "sill". That also makes cooking in the vestibule a bit inconvenient.

For what I paid (I got it for slightly more than dealer cost) I'm happy with it, but I went with Moss when I wanted to get a two man tent.

Ryland,

Yeah, we used all of the guy points plus the climbing rope draped all over the tent and tied down, plus a high snow wall. The guy points were sewn to the fly like most tents. After a while these points started ripping off the fly and it was a downward spiral from there. Later, a couple of the snow wall blocks blew onto the tent and broke a pole which started flailing around slicing up the fabric.

The other pair of us had an older Jansport tent that was much lower. It also had the guy lines threaded through the fly and tied directly to the tent body and to the poles. I don't think I've ever seen that feature on any other tent. That sucker was bomber but a pain to set up.

On the other hand, this occurred at 17,200 on the W. Butt. If you're heading up that route I would say summit from 14,200 and NEVER camp at the 16k or 17k camps. It's a long day but way funner! So if you do that, pretty much any old tent will do. Just make some decent walls or better yet use the time to make a cave.

If you're going to do a route where you're climbing with a tent on your back then I could only recommend the Integral Designs or Bibler, in that order. Lighter is so much funner...

Cheers,

Mark