Busted at the Border TR

carolyn

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:

if you get really assymmetric crampons then it gets harder to put them on the wrong feet. and if you have symmetric ones it doesnt matter much except the strap buckle is on wrong side of your ankle.

Visually the sabertooths have a very subtle difference when putting them on (my straps came messed up and havent gotten around to switching them, so I have to look at the curve carefully). When put on backwards the inner point is just a tad further away from your front toe...which would explain why I climbed pigeoned toed all the way up AND had a good deal of ankle pain.

I wont ever be in such a rush and so focused until AFTER the gear is on. At least I confronted a fear and accomplished the climb despite the setbacks. thumbs_up.gif

Your drive to the border is only a few hours, right? Unfortunately we have a solid 6 hr drive. frown.gif

The cost to clear your record is anywhere between 250 and 2500 bucks...american.

I imagine things are going to get tighter as tension rises, so be aware...and have a back up plan....you just never know what might happen!

Happy crossing!

They wouldn't let me into the US last time I tried. I had a Driver's License, and an (expired) UK passport. rolleyes.gif

He could have let me in if he had wanted to; I bet if I hadn't showed him the passport, he would have. My fault really- too lazy to get a new passport.

If the dollar keeps getting stronger it just might be worth my while though... wink.gif

carolyn said:

Visually the sabertooths have a very subtle difference when putting them on (my straps came messed up and havent gotten around to switching them, so I have to look at the curve carefully).

and also a not-so-subtle difference in the little "L" and "R" stamped into the bar yellaf.gif .

So I'm curious about the paraphanalia. Could this be a realistice scenario???

Guard: Welcome to Canada. Where you headed?

Driver: Banff

G: Purpose of visit?

D: Ice Climbing

bla, bla, bla

G: Hmm, smells like dope in that car. Are you carrying drugs?

D: Nope, we don't have any. We know better. Search away if you wish.

search car...find pipe and empty film container

G: What's this

D: It the device we use to smoke pot. But we don't have any. Search away if you wish.

Search reveals nothing.

So, what can they do???

Paraphernalia gets you in a lot of trouble .. this from stories I've heard (albeit second hand). One of my acquaintances told me he got his car confiscated for bringing a pipe accross the border .. I'm not sure which way he was heading and I also don't know if he's telling the truth .. he's been known to tell whoppers.

I once brought a pipe accross the border. They searched my car and put me in a holding cell to ask my friend some questions alone (my friend is Jamaican). They still hadn't searched me yet and I had the pipe stuffed in my underwear. I was sitting on a bench in this little old room wondering if they were going to come back and search me so I put the pipe behind the bench support which, luckily, was in the shape of an L .. so I conveniently hid it behind the bend in the metal. I wonder what they said when they found it.

Can't speak to Canadian customs but U.S. Customs can/will toss your bootius maximus in jail and/or fine you for having paraphenalia if there are trace amounts of illegal substances detectable on it. Buddy of mine got busted coming back from mexico with a pipe and it cost him $500 clams and a day in the slammer.