Poll: will there be an avalanche SAR this weekend?

klenke

My partner triggered a 40cm (15") slab on Mt seymour today as we were putsing around on some mixed terrain. I was belaying about 30 feet below him and was bracing myself above a tree as the slab rushed by and around me. Same guy who Jordop was skiing with, he must be bad luck rolleyes.gif.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

salbrecher said:

My partner triggered a 40cm (15") slab on Mt seymour today as we were putsing around on some mixed terrain. I was belaying about 30 feet below him and was bracing myself above a tree as the slab rushed by and around me. Same guy who Jordop was skiing with, he must be bad luck rolleyes.gif.

He got me a speeding ticket too! No, not really! rolleyes.gif

What the hell, Tim gives me his ice guide cause he says he'll never use it and the next day goes mixing it up on the N side of Seymour? confused.gif What a guy!

From Today's Avalanche Report :

Please note that many natural and human triggered avalanches were reported over the weekend, and quite a few skiers and snowboarders were very lucky to have survived both partial and total burials without serious injuries. With this in mind, it is not encouraging to know how many tempted fate by skiing and boarding steep chutes and bowls in the back country during a period of very unstable snow conditions, especially when more appropriate route selection could have minimized their exposure to avalanche releases. Both avalanche professionals and recreationists were caught and carried by slides that ranged in size from 1 to over 4 feet deep, with resultant slides traveling up to 2000 feet vertical.

rolleyes.gif

And:South Coast Region

WEATHER: Well, if you have any doubt that the weather is mixed up right now, let’s start with the obvious. It snowed hard in Vancouver. The reason for this begins with a very cold airmass that roared through BC from the north, bringing temperatures down to a chilly -20 in the alpine. A series of weak Pacific disturbances have taken a run at the coast, but have been force to ride up and over the cold, dense air. This has led to intense snowfall in some areas, with the Coquihalla getting an incredible 156 cm since Friday. The weather forecast calls for the cold air to finally retreat, leaving a brief clear period Monday morning then opening the door for a very powerful low heading our way from Hawaii. Expect rapidly rising temperatures, a wind switch to strong out of the SW and heavy snow turning to rain even in the alpine beginning late Monday.

SNOWPACK: Things are quite variable right now. The Whistler area has seen less snow than inland areas but still has a wind slab now buried under a further 30cm of low density fluff. The interface under the wind slab is still weak, with weak surface

hoar crystals found here in many areas, accompanied by a poorly bonded crust down 60cm on some southerly aspects.

AVALANCHES: By Sunday, only small powder and soft slab releases were being seen, failing on specific terrain features. As the rapid warming occurs, expect a slab to quickly form at the surface and a widespread avalanche cycle to develop early in the

week.

FORECAST OF AVALANCHE DANGER UP TO MONDAY EVENING (March 10th)

ALPINE – Considerable, increasing to High with warming

TREELINE - High

BELOW TREELINE - Considerable

TRAVEL ADVISORY: The main problem for Monday will be wind transported snow as the system moves inland. Expect a further and now rapid rise in danger as temperatures begin to rise Monday afternoon.

All I know is my roommates SAR pager kept going off last night. Usually not a problem because she usually keeps it with her, but last night it was on the kitchen table.....and it sounds WAY too much like my alarm clock.

Musta been some action somewhere.....

To_The_Top said:

cj001f said:

Hood Meadows had a slide with a 12' crown height in Heather Canyon this weekend - Yowsas!

You said feet? hahaha.gifhellno3d.gif

Yup - Patrol had a picture of one of them on skis at the base - arm up, pole up - and still didn't reach the top!