Tenzing Jamling Norgay's Death

Terminal_Gravity

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy who slept on top of Everest was Babu Sherpa, and he is history, died in the crevasse fall.

As far as Tenzing Norgay's supposed death, I checked the Kathmandu Post, as well as a few other resources and nothing is mentioned about that.

It either just happened (like within hours) or it's bullshit.

He was Tenzing Norgay's Son and wrote Touching My Father's Soul ( IMO a very worthwhile read) and was with the IMAX team in '96.

Atleast 4 non-climbers I know have mentioned that they heard (or read) he died climbing but were un-able to site references or details.

I hope that I'm wrong about his death. Maybe I've been the victim of a rumor mill.

[This message has been edited by Terminal Gravity (edited 10-23-2001).]

Dru:

Ever read John Hunt's Conquest of Everest? No body hauled anybody's butt up Everst on the first trip. No body.

Hillary was at the time and continued to be a very accomplished climber and explorer.

I understand the ideas that he couldmn't have done it without the Sherpa argument, but the Sherpa wouldn't have done it themselves either. It took both.

Tenzing Norgay is the man in the picture withthe flags on the summit. Hillary was VERY big on seeing to it that the Sherpa received all the credit they deserved.

In the spirit of further revisionist, politically correct history I will state that Mike Adamson owes me 20 or so beers, and that I just single handedly chopped every bolt at Frenchmans and used all the hangers to retro bolt Outer Space, ROTC and Givlers Cracks. Now they are safe and enjoyable leads.

If Hillary didn't get hauled up Everest then why wasnt he out there with Boukreev saving climbers in the big storm?

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 10-24-2001).]

Man I hate rumours, especially if they are not true. Terminal, where did you get this notion and did you attempt to validate it before posting? TJN has suposedly quit climbing and just runs his treking business. So I wonder if you have confused him with someone else with a similar name. Anyway, I checked a very reliable source and this person knows nothing about his death. He also said everestnews.com would be the best place to check. Until someone posts some proof, I'm convinced this is nothing more than bad information.