[TR] Lincoln Peak - SW Face (Steep Snow) - 5/12/24

eeelip

Posted (edited)

Ian and I left at 1am from Wenatchee to bag our 2nd peak on the “WA Difficult 10” list with Ian. We were initially thinking of attempting the index traverse, but there is too much snow and we only had Sunday 5/12/24 available. At around 5pm on Sat, I suggested switching objectives and Ian immediately texted back that he was in. Spontaneity is one of the many reasons he is an excellent climbing partner. The drive took over 5hrs due to McDonalds stop in Burlington waiting for a Burger (no breakfast before 4am ). We arrived at the top of the last switchback on NF-38 and started hiking around 5:45am after a prolonged decision making process whether we should take skis or not. We finally decided to take them since it would save time on the descent. We moved slowly but surely up the overgrown trail, moving alder branches out of the way and ducking our skis underneath. We reached the open plateau at 5,000’ around 7am. From there it was a quick skin up to 6,000’ where we stopped for breakfast. The summit looked so close from our break-spot that I was convinced we’d be home by 6pm or so. Conditions looked optimal, with hardly any crevasses exposed. We ditched skis at camp after briefly debating whether we could ski the route from the summit.

03850834-6287-40C9-ACA8-60737D966E05.JPG.99abff01c4eae92f74b958363447b212.JPG

IMG_0308.jpg.004ac988b037bff47b750f89e8e6f5e4.jpg

At 8:45 we started the short traverse over to the bowl that funnels into the couloir system leading to the summit. The snow was knee deep and we took turns breaking trail, but still expended a ton of energy in the first part of the ascent. This route is South-West facing, and didn’t see sun until around 11:30. This helped negate most of the rockfall risk, but it was still warm enough that the snow remained mostly slushy except in the runnels. Another thing that didn’t help was our underestimating the length of the route from camp. 3,000’ of steep snow is a solid day’s work, and it took us until 1pm to reach the summit. The top is in view for most of the route, and just seemed to keep getting farther and farther away as we got higher. The route, however, kept looking easier and easier as we got closer.

25F465AF-3F26-4802-9B63-CA05F7CB09CD.JPG.f7fc353a06aee4c77e24572baaca5bf7.JPG

At around 7,000’ we ditched trekking poles, the rope, and our pro as we were confident we could solo the gullies all the way to the top. After another few hundred feet, we crossed a bergshrund (barely visible to us) and continued slogging up the first gully. At around 7,800’ we stopped and took a lunch break and melted a liter of water each. This is when I realized I had accidentally grabbed a nearly empty fuel canister, and had used it all the fuel that remained in one sitting. Bummer. We continued up from our lunch spot traversing over to the second gully. Same slushy snow. The sun finally crested the ridge above us and immediately started beating down. We moved slowly due to the snow conditions and heat, but kept moving until we topped out the second gully and traversed left into the final gully. Ian and I parted ways, as he took the standard gully on the left, while I took a shaded gully on the right that was a bit steeper but seemed more solid. We met up 20min or so later just under the summit, where I had to scoot across a snow ridge with thousands of feet of exposure on each side. Lesson learned: stick to the gpx track.

D0538677-3F7F-4CC2-A54D-0239B9E57AA7.JPG.e169c3b75a6a35d2ead245de0fa26c69.JPG

IMG_2356_Original(1).JPG.9ae29e0e39bc3575a5789e0fd4f7039e.JPG

IMG_0319(1).jpg.387061c2433ca4d0819f88e40c116d06.jpg

D50C2971-AD94-420D-BF33-3BE37A7DC375.JPG.4067f8fca18888bd2ef78a7f0c5aacd7.JPG

We arrived on top, took photos and some drone footage, then started the backwards down-climbing/postholing. The descent was quite miserable. It was so hot that I was getting sunburned despite 70 spf sunscreen. The snow was so wet and slushy that we got completely soaked. It took only two hours to get back to our skis, but it was not enjoyable. From there, we plowed through the slush down into the trees, where we eventually decided it was faster to just posthole since the trees were so close together. We reached the old forest road/trail around 4pm, then skinned and walked back the way we had come up back to Ian’s car. We started the drive home around 5:30pm and arrived home just before 10pm. Overall, we were not terribly impressed with this climb. It is not very technical, nor aesthetic, and the views were nothing spectacular. I’m glad we got it checked off, but this one really is just a check mark.

57A622D0-5307-4DD3-B6E3-096AABFF79FC.JPG.e40d4caf5502086a74118b9eafdf5171.JPG

GPX Track:

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/lincoln-peak-x-couloir-040d45c

Gear List:

https://www.packwizard.com/s/Vjgacgh

Video:

Edited by eeelip
  • Like 1

Nice work guys! 
I however thought Lincoln was a fine alpine route. And the views? C’mon! Baker, Assassin Spire, Colfax, Seward and the Sisters range! Hard to please ya all.

good luck on getting the other 8 summits.

• Like 1
  • Snaffled 1

Hey Eli, thanks for the write up on Carpe...hoping we can fly in tomorrow.

I just noticed this report you have for Lincoln, and was wondering if you, or anyone else here knows if Tom S is still the only person who has completed the Difficult 10? I'm trying to finish them myself...hmu if you're interested.

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 10:02 AM, JBo6 said:

Nice trip!  Thanks for the recent bunch of TRs, they have been a great distraction in the office. 

Just a heads up but using drones are banned in wilderness areas.

10-4. I didn't think to check the regulations on this since obviously nobody was going to be in this area, but we are planning on just leaving the drone at home from now on. Thanks for the comment!

Not that I would know, but I bet you guys just got ideal conditions.   I also enjoyed the video.  I'm also someone not psyched about drones in the wilderness.  No doubt that footage is awesome, but the TR would totally not be diminished if that footage didn't exist.  Thanks for sharing here.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 10:26 PM, olyclimber said:

Not that I would know, but I bet you guys just got ideal conditions.   I also enjoyed the video.  I'm also someone not psyched about drones in the wilderness.  No doubt that footage is awesome, but the TR would totally not be diminished if that footage didn't exist.  Thanks for sharing here.

Yes I would say the conditions made it easy on us chumps! Maybe a bit slushier than we would have liked on the decent, but that could have been fixed with an earlier start. And yes understood on the drone going forward. I should have checked regulations.