getting cats to think it was their idea

allison

OK, so I've had this cat for a year and a half, and one of the places she likes to hang out is on top of my computer monitor. I have always suspected there was something problematic about this, and last night I saw how.

I have been working long hours, 8 am to midnight, give or take. She has been sleeping indoors at night with me, and then insisting on being out when I leave, which means she goes around 16 or 17 hours without food.

The result of that last night was that when she came in from the cold, she did her normal bolt-a-thon of all of the available cat food and then went to her spot on top of my monitor to hang out with me while I checked email and such, but the combination of the two produced an inadvertant effect of Tik barking on the top of the monitor. Here's where the "this can't be a good idea" thing starts to make sense.

I dealt with the mess, and the monitor is for now still working, but the bigger question exists:

"Can a teenaged cat learn new tricks?"

I'm shooeing her off the monitor for now, and so far it is working, but what are the chances I can get her off of that monitor for good? The barfing thing with cats, well, it is something they just do. Is there any way to keep her off of that monitor, for sure, and permanent-like?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Necronomicon said:

Greg_W said:

allison said: Is there any way to keep her off of that monitor, for sure, and permanent-like?

Bullet to the head. I'd gladly help you with that.

You're a loser. What if someone suggested putting a bullet into the head of one of your loved ones, you dick? Thanks for being such a tool.

Thanks, asshole. I consider that a compliment coming from a piece of shit like you. Fuck off and die, wanker. madgo_ron.gif

Here is an easy way to deal with the problem. Get a squirt bottle, a soda can, and some pennies. Put the pennied in the soda can and tape it shut. When said feline get on the computer give it a small squirt while simultaniously shaking the can. After a few times all you will have to do is shake the can.

Unlike dogs, cat's are hard to train with positive reinforcement, so you have to use the tough love approach.