Bat Cave in Alger

PullinFool

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Bat Caves" are a beautiful area, but the climbing there is very much neglected. I think it boils down to the fact that climbing there is really a full days outing due to the approach and the actual climbing just ain't that good. If you want to go climbing for a short day Erie is the closest and has both good weather and good rock. For an afternoon go bouldering at Larrabee and for a full day Squamish, Index and Darrington are all between 92 and 96 miles from town.

Bat caves is OK check out hangers from the top of the Oyster Dome and rap in. There is also the crap sandstone to boulder traverse at Larrabee Park nearby. Also, there is a handfull of small crags that are bolted up the Mt. Baker Highway. Granitic I believe. Definitely hit Squamish over any of the above areas.

The climbing at the Bat Caves is extremely fingery and the rock is brittle. I'd say it is worth at least a trip or two. Most of the routes are pretty hard.(5.12) One route on the left side looks pretty amazing but is marred by a dirty first pitch. I can attest the hike is not so bad as I did it with two left shoes on! The obvious crack pitch that has been mentioned look wild. Anyone have any experiences they want to share with us about it?

bigdrink.gif Bat caves are a great day trip. There are enough routes there to make a few trips worth it. Anywhere from .7 - .12, trad, sport & mixed. Bring enough pads and even the bouldering is good. Check out the caves too.

Baker Rocks, on the Mt. Baker Hwy are good, but need use. Not enough traffic to keep mossy sport climbs clean. There are a few in the .11 - .12 range that are dry almost all of the time and are right by the road. Worth visiting & it's quick. Can get good spring/summer riding in near the ski area, and clip bolts on the way home. Have fun!!

Sned a message to Dyno Merchant for info on both areas, he put up most of the routes. I'd go to Glacier before the Bat Caves. There are two areas, and while they have their assortment of 5.11-12s, there is a nice selection of 10s that are good for what they are.

The Bat Caves, the number of routes is limited and the rock isn't all that great. Have climbed there a few times and would have to say its worth maybe one or two visits up there.