Can anyone help me???

jakebuell

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jakebuell said:

My wife and I reciently moved to Auburn WA and would like to find some nearby climbing. Does anyone know of any areas maybe in the Green river gorge or other places an hour or less from Auburn?

Thanks

Jake

there is some sweet granite near Renton. cool.gif

Dave_Schuldt said:

We meat for bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif every Tuseday stay tuned for this weeks location.

Dave, you are going to catch cold standing around in your Freudian Slip this time of year, now put your coat on!

The rest of this motley crue does in fact meEt for beer every Tuesday, and it's generally a more congenial scene than the board might suggest. cool.gif

Try Fossil Rocks. Take I-5 to the Puyallup/ Mount Rainier exit, Hwy 512. Drive East for 2 mi., take the Parkland exit, Hwy 7. Drive S. for 5 miles to the Roy Y, go right onto Hwy 507. Drive south 12 miles to the town of McKenna. At the first intersection past Stewart's Meat Market, turn left onto Vail Road. at 0.9 mi turn left at a four way stop with a BP gas station on Bald Hill Rd. Follow this road stying left at Lawrence Lake Road Y . At this point there are two locations allowed for Parking...Logging Road 4000 off of Piesner Road or Logging Road 1000 off of Bald Hill Rd 3.3 mi. past Piessner. Approach hike time in both cases, 45 min.

Better just buy Marlene Ford and Jim Yoder's Guide. I got my copy at Mountaineers Bookstore.

Try Fossil Rocks.

Good suggestion catbirdseat. Couple of more points on fossil.

1. It's not as bad as everyone says.

2. Bring a mountain bike for the logging road

3. WC crack is a 5.7 crack just to the right of the prominent cave on the first wall. It's a great first gear lead.

The fellow was asking for something close to Auburn. Index is not close to Auburn. Fossil Rocks is supposed to have walls that are dry even in a downpour. This being winter, it sounds like a good bet. I've never actually been there myself. I bought the guide with the intention of going, but never went. I'm out of work, so maybe now's the time. grin.gif

Is fossil rocks really worth it? or is it worth it like exit 38, somewhere you go when you don't have time to go anywhere good?

For me it was worth it when I lived at ft. lewis, cause i could just go out the east gate and be on 507. So to answer your question it's worth it if it's the closest climbing area to you, and if it's not you should probably go at least once so that way you can at least rag on it in an informed manner. snaf.gifthe_finger.gifsnaf.gifthe_finger.gif

drop_me_in_the_water.jpg

fossil is a pretty cool place. it certainly is not index.

the ottoman empire has almost all bolted on river rock and plastic holds. this wall is about 45 degree. perfect outdoor training. you can have a fire at the base and warm the whole wall.

decent boulders in the area as well. and some fun weird sport climbs.

great view od rainier.

and the are some off limits way that are way cool! and would be awesome to climb on.

fossil is very unique and should be respected as such.

index is closer to auburn then fossil is.

catbirdseat said:

Try Fossil Rocks. Take I-5 to the Puyallup/ Mount Rainier exit, Hwy 512. Drive East for 2 mi., take the Parkland exit, Hwy 7. Drive S. for 5 miles to the Roy Y, go right onto Hwy 507. Drive south 12 miles to the town of McKenna. At the first intersection past Stewart's Meat Market, turn left onto Vail Road. at 0.9 mi turn left at a four way stop with a BP gas station on Bald Hill Rd. Follow this road stying left at Lawrence Lake Road Y . At this point there are two locations allowed for Parking...Logging Road 4000 off of Piesner Road or Logging Road 1000 off of Bald Hill Rd 3.3 mi. past Piessner. Approach hike time in both cases, 45 min.

Better just buy Marlene Ford and Jim Yoder's Guide. I got my copy at Mountaineers Bookstore.

This guide book... I tried looking for it on the internet... no luck. where is Mountaineer's bookstore?

This guide book... I tried looking for it on the internet...

Try BackPackers Supply in Tacoma, Jim Yoder used to work there, and they carry it still (I think). If I remember correctly there's also a little beta in the Smoot rock climbing washington book.