Railroad Pass Area

AlpineK

Jordop and I took advantage of the nice weather and headed up north of Pemberton for a ski trip. Our original objective was Mt. Samson; however when we reached Rairoad Creek we found a closed gate on the road further up the Lillooet. We decided to keep driving up the road to Railroad Pass.

The road was compressed snow from a lot of snowmobile traffic. I put my Dodge in 4 wheel low, and we headed up the road on a surface was solid snowmobile whoop-de-dos. Up and up we drove. There was no snow on the hillside but lots on the road. We passed a spur road that headed towards Samson, but we decided that, due to the low snow pack, we would end up walking too much, so we kept driving uphill. My truck was doing fine as long as I stayed at about 5 mph or less; eventually Jordan told me we had driven past the last steep grade before the pass. Just when I thought we were going to drive to the pass I felt my truck start to sink into the snow, and 50 feet after that we augured in.

We were only about 1/2 miles from the pass, so it only took a short time to ski there. At the pass we headed east till we reached a point we could ski up Donelly creek. We got off route, but eventually we reached the basin under the Train Glacier. Much to both our suprises we discovered the basin was a haven for high-marking snowmobilers (I may say more about this in spray). We set up our camp and did a short ski.

The next morning we skied up the Train Glacier and eventually summited Faceless Mountain. I had never been this far north in the Coast Range, and I was totally psyched to get views of both the Pemberton and Lillooet Icefields. The ski down was Fun; we collected our gear and headed down to the car.

All in all this was a Fun trip and the views from the peak were awesome bigdrink.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on, K. We skied that Train Glacier in a whiteout the only time I was up there and I wondered what it looked like! Jordop-thanks for the Picture.

I take it, going in via Donnelly Creek is probably quite a bit easier than climbing over the ridge between the Pass and the Creek and camping at Semaphore Lakes but maybe the ridge route avoids snowmobile traffic. Do they run the snow machines all the way up Donnelly Creek to the glacial moraines?