• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
JT_Ski

Solo Snow Climbs

Hi All,

I’ve been reading threads and trip reports here for a while, but first time posting. I’m hoping to grab some recommendations on good 1-1.5 day solo snow climbs in the PNW. Good ski lines are a bonus, not concerned by longer approaches. Big vertical gain is desirable!

Looking forward to hearing some ideas!

Thanks,

Jack

skiable + big vert + not melted out in summer + no ice/snice is going to land you on glaciated terrain. if you feel inclined to travel on glaciers alone, you could climb Emmons/Winthrop on Tahoma (you'll need a special permit for solo climbing, I think), DC, various glaciers on Kulshan (Coleman-Deming being the gentlest), the Sulphide Glacier on Shuksan, or the Blue Glacier on Mount Olympus.

Edited by Marcus Russi

I have solo'd many Cascade peaks, pretty much any of the main lines on Hood can be solo'd safely, South Sister, Middle Sister, and few routes on North Sister can be solo'd. N. Ridge as well West Side of Jefferson. On Adams the South side and Pinnacle Glacier. 

• Like 1

Thanks Marcus - understand the limited route availability with all that criteria. Very much a bonus list! I’ll check out those that I don’t know in your list. 

cooper spur on n side of mt hood is quite lovely, especially if you choose to bivy near tie in rock for the high alpine experience - can certainly be done easily in a day though, especially if cloud cap road is opened by then

• Like 1

This is a great thread.  Thanks for asking this question.  I had initially planned to hit Stormy Monday on Adams, and I started another thread asking about it.  After reading this and researching the Cooper Spur, I think I'm going to do that instead.

take a helmet fo shiz - the cooper spur can shit all kinds of what-have-you down it - i enjoy it far more to have both an axe and 2nd tool as well - the funniest part is starting the descent from the summit as it feels rather zany at first :)

Years ago I solo'd Copper Spur in October. The upper part was ice and a second tool would have been nice. As for the descent, zany is right, I started down twice, then decided to bail off the south side and walk back around.