[TR] Home Depot- New gear storage 1/1/2006

DPS

Climb: Home Depot-New gear storage

Date of Climb: 1/1/2006

Trip Report:

My current method of storing my climbing gear left something to be desired. Any time I packed for a trip I would have to paw through a bunch of plastic bins looking for what I needed.

Inspired by a photo on this bbs, I decided to create a gear wall to store my climbing crap. With my father in law in tow I headed to my local Home Depot where I picked up the necessary gear: 4 x 8 sheet of peg board, 3- 1" x 2" x 8' pieces of lumber, 1" and 2 1/2" screws, 15 long hangers and a bag of assorted hooks. Total cost $35

I created a frame by srewing the 1 x 2s to the back of the peg board around the perimeter with 1" screws. Then I screwed the peg board to the wall about 3 feet off the ground with 2 1'2" screws. It was helpful having a second pair of hands to hold the peg board in position while I attached it to the wall.

The fun part was artfully arranging the various hooks and hangers and hanging up the gear. The result is a neat looking display of my most used climbing gear. Photos to follow.

Gear Notes:

Screws, drill motor with screw driver attachment, compound miter saw, level.

Approach Notes:

Full sized truck recommended to fit 4 x 8 sheet of peg board.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

personally - don't think you have nearly enough climb'n shoes smile.gif wtf? you got like half a dozen pairs! or ar eyou like me and unable to cut the cord on all those old pairs that really just need to be tossed out?

Erik, i thought having a wife meant your old smelly shit dissapears at random when you aren't looking?

personally - don't think you have nearly enough climb'n shoes smile.gif wtf? you got like half a dozen pairs! or ar eyou like me and unable to cut the cord on all those old pairs that really just need to be tossed out?

Half of the pairs of the shoes that you see in the photo belong to my wife. The old shoes I can't throw out are in a box cantfocus.gif

RE: gear storage - alternative approach ....

Prefer to segregate equipment [ ice, trad, alpine....etc]

into plastic storage bins 3'x18"x15" or so, resting on

1" or 7/8" plywood shelving; shelving supported on wall studs with underlying 'knee braces' of 1/2", 5/8" triangular plywood with top and side strips. Knee braces mounted to wall studs thru side strip with 3 min. 3"+ wood screws, knee braces at 32" cc or 48" cc. Optional: add bungee cords/webbing on outside, to retain bins in case of an earthquake, or accidental impact.

Erik, i thought having a wife meant your old smelly shit dissapears at random when you aren't looking?

this is why all my shit is hidden out in the garage she dares not enter...

recently saving my old climbing shoes turned out for the best - i was able to recylce the shoelaces!