Leavenworth ice update

telemarker

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty bummed out when I drove by Drury today (well... as bummed as one can be after a pow day). Last week the first pitch of Hubba was fat and quality. A little thinner and delaminated up high, but I can't imagine that it all fell down. The lines to the right were thin and a bit snowy. We got 16 inches of snow in one afternoon followed by a few days of rain. Weird stuff. A lot fell down, but maybe it will be ok in the long run. Cold weather coming, and lots of water running. Might as well be optimistic.

Drove by Hubba Hubba yesterday. From the road the first step looked like it was possibly in, but up above was a large section of bare rock. Didn't hike to it, so don't know details. But I decided it wasn't in enough for me to come back this weekend.

Oh, and the column on the far left of rainbow was still intact. Might be top ropeable? Once again, I didn't leave the car, so these details are from the road.

Rainbow left is still standing, but is basically a thin free standing pillar because the rain delaminated it and huge chunks fell off of it's base. In my opinion climbing it would be very dangerous for the climber and belayer, and would possibly make it be unclimbable for even longer. Let it grow! Stuff might be in up the snow creek valley.

I still owe you beer from last winter...I haven't forgotten. When the ice is fat and the snow is firm I'm heading your way. By the way, you inspired me to buy some skis...just waiting to get them and learn to stay up on them. Cheers! Rick.

I think about that beer frequently! Enchantment Ale @ Gustav's! Happy skiing! Shoot me an email the next time you're in town.

Rapped in on Rainbow left today to see if it might be climbable because in the pics above it is way fatter than it was just a few days before that. From below it looks ok but up high (and probably down low) there is a huge gap between ice and rock and the whole thing shutters when you swing. Too dangerous to even TR in my opinion. I wish it would get just a bit colder.

Was in the Icicle yesterday.

Hubba Hubba in the clouds.

Flow on the way to Bathtub Dome is forming, but not in. (mostly running water)

We hiked up to Millennium Wall. Don't be fooled by the condition of the trail down low. Floatation highly recommended above 2000' on Snow Lake Trail. Thigh deep snow abounds.

Our 2.5 hour stumble was not totally fruitless. Millennium is still in and solid. But it was too late and we were too tired to climb it.

A short trek up trail and we saw The Goatee - not in as best as we could see.

About a half dozen or more downed trees in the vicinity of Millennium and beyond further reduced our mobility.

Climbed Hubba Hubba on 12/21 wallowed through deep snow, first 15m was in pretty fat took some 16cm screws, rest of it was thin or not in. Ran it out to one of the trees on climbers left. Would say WI3 M4 if that gives you an idea. Also went over to Banks today Punch Bowl was pretty good up high...ill post some photos soon