Pay It Forward?

Dane

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some missed the point...this wasn't ever supposed to be a trade or a job offer.

That is not the concept of "pay it forward".

FWIW...I have had two ask for gear and only two sponsored requests. Total!

Funny enough when you think about the level of karma involved, both climbers who were "sponsored" didn't want any thing for themselves but only asked if we could get their long time partners some much needed gear.

And they didn't ask for much even then.

I'll donate 10 books. Let me know the details

That would be awesome! I would pay shipping for some of the books to my house if they look like they will help me or my friend.

Absolutely no takers on the job offer.

I would take it, but Leavenworth is over 2 hours from where I live. If I were spending a few days out in the area I might consider it, but I haven't even been able to head over for a day trip with the recent weather. It's not that I'm afraid to work, just the opposite! Just the other day I stacked some wood for a neighbor for a little extra money. If you lived closer to me I'd take you up on your offer.

-Mark

I too would take the offer if you did not live so far away, I do not know of any bus that goes from Lynnwood or Everett to Leavenworth. Heck if you were near by I wouldn't mind helping you for free. (I like helping people who need help). Well hope it goes well with the drive way deal.

I'll try this again. Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwHcS-XoYbc

It aint about a job offer or trading your labor for gear.

Not about being a mentor. All worthy goals and ideas.

Not about giving anything for free or getting something for free.

This idea isn't that or those ideas and it isn't really about climbing. BUT the idea can be a really good thing for climbing, short term and long term.

It isn't about another hype induced, ego, media sponsored climbing hero. It is about why many of us climb in the first place.

God bless you Dane! That was great! I full heartedly agree with you! I encourage you for what you are doing. The day kindness is just something that cannot be done in this world is the day I want nothing to do with the world. I tell ya, it is good to have a heart for people, not just climbing. I myself have had plenty of gear offers which I am very grateful of, it has taken me a long ways. Without the people who have offered help/volunteering to go on trips with me, perhaps I would not have an interest in climbing. My friend Mark (one of the posters above) has greatly encouraged me with climbing, he took the time to teach me, and go with me climbing, associated me with a scholarship, and for one to say that it was unnessisary I believe to be wrong. I once hit a point were I almost lost my passion for climbing, although I have climbed few, I have hiked much, and now am given the oppertunity to go further. The giving gear is not just to "have them be more prepaired" but is also an encouragement, I know I myself have been encouraged by nice people. I will also agree with the part that work too is important. To get my harness I had to dig a ditch, wheel barrel stuff which helped me get to where I am today. But the extra help of nice people made a diffrence. You would be amazed at how far a little kindess can go, or atleast I know in my heart even a little bit from people have helped me much. When I am older, I plan on being one of the people who help provide gear to the people who could use some.

Though you would think ltown locals would be spawning mutant crushers, the only kids i've met in town who climb, didn't really start til they were 17 or older. A bit odd.

One of the problems in this current society is liability. No one wants to take the risks of having someone below 18, or at the very least many do not want to take it, which is understandable. As for me in my younger days (I'm still young :grin: ) I would hike, and then got into scrambling, but for many years no one could teach me. Often what I have seen is that it is either the dad climbers who can teach there childeren, or the people with enough money for climbing classes that get into climbing at a young age.

Though you would think ltown locals would be spawning mutant crushers, the only kids i've met in town who climb, didn't really start til they were 17 or older. A bit odd.

supremely odd.... but when I was there i met Kyle O' Meara and his friend Joel... they were not very old and totally crushing, joel sent the Ram. Which felt pretty hard to me for sure.....

Or the ADHD kid tying static hardware store rope around his waist and jumping out of trees after reading 'banner in the sky' for a school book study.... maybe on good thing school did for me ;) The Mom realized I was going to hurt myself so she paid half of the gym membership (other half came from the paper route) and I could ride my bike there whenever I wanted to. I was 10 years old....

Its not that hard for kids to get into climbing.... but helping out the kids who really have drive for the sport will go a long ways for them, and maybe help prevent them from prematurely dying by using the cheapest crap on the market to get out.

Or the ADHD kid tying....

With absolutely no medical background to make these claims...

ADHD is likely more common in our sport than some others if you look around. My theory is the focus has to be so intense while climbing that you get good fast. Again my theory is, ADHD allows for a more intense mental focus in a stressful, adrenaline soaked environment. Quick success generates more interest and off we go.

Good thing or bad thing for ADHD peoples?...my jury is still out on my theory ;) ....not sure it helps long term might even make it worse. Awesome short term therapy though :)

supremely odd.... but when I was there i met Kyle O' Meara and his friend Joel... they were not very old and totally crushing, joel sent the Ram. Which felt pretty hard to me for sure.....

There is no doubt that Kyle and Joel are super strong, but they are from seattle, and definetly not highschool age. Besides some very young local kids (ages 4-10), i've just never seen the 12-16 year old local mutants one would expect to see growing up in a climbing town.

There is no doubt that Kyle and Joel are super strong, but they are from seattle, and definetly not highschool age. Besides some very young local kids (ages 4-10), i've just never seen the 12-16 year old local mutants one would expect to see growing up in a climbing town.

in my experience, the kids that totally "crush" come at it from a sports mentality (yes, i'm talking gyms and coaches)...kids growing up at a climbing area just don't approach it that way...

another key factor is parental support, both the typical support and the $$ factor....

teens...different story because they will be motivated and take advantage of the locale...

remember though, if they can't walk/bike to an area, then they are dependent on rides...

Edited by RuMR

Leavenworth isn't exactly Boulder or Jackson. Most kids there are more likely to be into dirt biking and deer hunting than bouldering.

Leavenworth isn't exactly Boulder or Jackson. Most kids there are more likely to be into meth and beercan hunting than bouldering.

Leavenworth isn't exactly Boulder or Jackson. Most kids there are more likely to be into xstacy and whining than bouldering.

fixed it...

Number of guys have donated. Still sorting through a good size pile of donated gear and trying to match it to the right requests. Good on ya, guys.

Cool part is we've already been able to ship 4 PIF packages :)

And more to go out asap.

How fun is that!

• 5 months later...

I'm the gear lead at Garfield Post in the CD, and though we buy all our gear new, replace slings every few years, etc for liability reasons, I know a couple other kids who could use bivy sacks, light bags, boots, crampons, and climbing clothes. I've dropped a thousand or so of my babysitting and gift-wrap money getting myself a rope, some new draws, a bit of pro, and a bunch of gear to climb, but for a lot of my friends they don't have the freedom or jobs to buy alpine gear, though for the most part my buddies have harnesses, personal biners, and enough ski clothing to climb. But if you'd like to donate, PM me and I'll make sure the gear gets to someone under 18, still in high school, and climbing.