Snow conditions on Asgard & Dragontail descent?

daylward

Anyone been up Dragontail or Asgard Pass recently? How are the snow conditions? Most importantly, are spikes & ice axe still a necessity, especially for the terrain between the summit of Dragontail and the top of Asgard Pass? I suspect so, but I'd still like to hear any recent firsthand accounts. Thanks!

Dan

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine that snow creek "glacier" would be pretty soft in the afternoon and thus safe without axe or spikes...the runout isn't bad. Coming off dragontail in October, however, the thing was hard firn with plenty of rocks imbedded. I was glad to have carried crampons (but no axe) up serpintine. If I was going this time of year and expecting sun I dont think I'd take either, personally.

• 4 weeks later...
take neither - no need.

Hmmmm. I disagree. I was up there two days ago - Asgaard has zero snow. The Glacier on the Dragontail walk-up is ugly. There was 2" of crappy foamy ice/slush on the surface and water ice beneath. It was tough to get a good crampon placement, but it was doable once you kicked away the surface mank.

I don't think you could do the glacier without either crampons or chopping steps.