Opal Creek Wall info needed

billcoe

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Opal Creek area above Detroit Lk?

If so, I have a tiny bit of beta for you.

Love to get any info you have Kevin.

Thanks RBW, Shake Wayne awake and have him post something eh? cantfocus.gif. I don't have his number.

Heck, I don't even have his ex-wife's number anymore. (joking Wayne, just a joke - whooaa big fella) yelrotflmao.gif

About the only info I have is that I found a bolted pitch when I was hiking on French Creek Ridge about a week ago. This is found on Marten Butte. Not sure if this is the "wall" you are talking about though.

Take the French Creek trail (can give you details if you don't know where this is) toward Mt. Beachie about 2 miles. When you get to the Butte, continue around it another 1/4 mile. This will bring you to the more shaded side of the formation with much better rock. Keep looking up to your right and at a dark stain on the rock you will see a couple of hangers/tat/bail biner.

That's about all I know though.

bill,

i went to the opal creek wall back in 2002 to scope it. the wall looks amazing. let us know if you check it out or add a route yourself. i've been looking for a reason to head back out there.

does anyone know the rock type? it resembles granite.

I'm looking to do something outback or unusual rarely climbed points beyond weekend of Aug 12-13.

also if your interested in areas that you have never been to and are off the beaten path, i know plenty down where i am. feel free to email me and i'll point in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill,

Here is the beta blaster for just ONE of the best routes at the incredible Opal Creek Wall….

Steel and Stone II 5.10 B A2 (or possibly 5.13 if it goes free)

Vertical route length is about 220 feet

Protection = some pitons, cams & wires

The great roof is fabulous, and is the physical crux for certain. If you plan to free climb it, expect to find a total free hanging right knee lock in order to reach up to the next hand hold. Any really good Beacon climber should be able to do that. The spot along this extensive roof where the seam slices right through it is about 12 feet straight out, like the Lithuanian Lip on Liberty Crack, but is also a good quality nail if you bring a few pins.

Wayne and Steve know all about this route.

The entire Opal Wall is really just one complete piece of cliff of unusually excellent quality rock. There is a digital map to the area detailing the routes but…

Oh yes….the Yellow Jacket wasps can be vicious…we never knew just how fast we could run uphill with a fully loaded 40 pound pack until we hit their nest. But they tend to move around from year to year so you may not even encounter them on the way up….

Let us know how well you do on this ONE.

Bill,

Here is the beta blaster for just ONE of the best routes at the incredible Opal Creek Wall….

Steel and Stone II 5.10 B A2 (or possibly 5.13 if it goes free)

Vertical route length is about 220 feet

Protection = some pitons, cams & wires

The great roof is fabulous, and is the physical crux for certain. If you plan to free climb it, expect to find a total free hanging right knee lock in order to reach up to the next hand hold. Any really good Beacon climber should be able to do that. The spot along this extensive roof where the seam slices right through it is about 12 feet straight out, like the Lithuanian Lip on Liberty Crack, but is also a good quality nail if you bring a few pins.

Wayne and Steve know all about this route.

The entire Opal Wall is really just one complete piece of cliff of unusually excellent quality rock. There is a digital map to the area detailing the routes but…

Oh yes….the Yellow Jacket wasps can be vicious…we never knew just how fast we could run uphill with a fully loaded 40 pound pack until we hit their nest. But they tend to move around from year to year so you may not even encounter them on the way up….

Let us know how well you do on this ONE.

Thanks dude! I didn't make it out due to family things, and now I've gotten booked up with other stuff, hope to make it out next year though.

Appreciate the info!