[TR] Mount Hood - Leuthold Couloir 4/10/2016

KaskadskyjKozak

Trip: Mount Hood - Leuthold Couloir

Date: 4/10/2016

Trip Report:

I met up with three friends to climb Hood this weeekend. Originally we were hoping to get the Sandy Headwall route but were concerned about how this would go with the high freezing levels all week, and staying at about 10K over the weekend.

We met up at T-Line at about 2pm, and headed up to Illumination Saddle.

Hood looking damn fine from the parking lot:

Hood_-_Apr_2016_059.JPG

Approaching camp:

Hood_-_Apr_2016_008.JPG

This is why I climb. Well, one reason:

12419167_10209264885687446_6642682775050067694_o.jpg

We took our sweet time getting there and set up camp while the sun set. Based on the postholing we did on the final traverse we ruled out the Sandy and settled on Leuthold.

With the shorter route, we slept in to a luxurious 5 am and did not even get moving until after 6:30, mostly thanks to the serialized blue-bagging chain reaction that occurred in the morning. The snow was surprisingly firm - it had been cold and very windy all night - definitely below freezing.

Starting out in the morning:

12973175_10209264887367488_6325454298018931563_o.jpg

A party of 2 had passed our camp around 4:15 am, and another party of 3 passed us in the route. Other than that, no traffic. Rime ice/snow fall was minimal. No sloughs. Perfect conditions, really.

View up from above the Hour Glass:

Hood_-_Apr_2016_028.JPG

View down from the Queen's Chair:

Hood_-_Apr_2016_038.JPG

Ridge traverse money shot:

Hood_-_Apr_2016_041.JPG

We descended the standard route around noon. It appears that the Pearly Gates is back in - the Hog's Back was shifted a few years ago. We only had one short traffic jam with 2 skiers and then 4 climbers to get back to the Hog's Back. I have no complaints - this was a great weekend to be on Hood!

Descending the Pearly Gates:

Hood_-_Apr_2016_048.JPG

Life is good:

Hood_-_Apr_2016_050.JPG

Squeal like a pig!

Hood_-_Apr_2016_052.JPG

Gear Notes:

In these conditions... can be easily solo'd. If you want, bring a glacier rope and 4 pickets. We all had a 2nd tool which made for comfort and fun.

Approach Notes:

We hoofed it - no floatation was required, but the snow got nasty soft/postholing between the Palmer and the Saddle.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been jaded against the sandy ever since it tried to kill me :)

it sure is a looooong way around the mtn to do it too

the cooper spur in spring is magic - hike in one day and put a camp in near tie-in rock, the next morning's a simple frolic up the climbing face and then back down - bring plenty of whiskey...

I was in a party of two that climbed Reid headwall that same day - we may have been the party that passed your camp by 4:15 by your time, though we thought it was more like 4:45. In any case, I think we probably got pelted by a lot more ice than you, judging from your report, and from the Leuthold party of three we talked to on the summit. Regardless, wonderful photos, and glad you had a good time.

I was in a party of two that climbed Reid headwall that same day - we may have been the party that passed your camp by 4:15 by your time, though we thought it was more like 4:45. In any case, I think we probably got pelted by a lot more ice than you, judging from your report, and from the Leuthold party of three we talked to on the summit. Regardless, wonderful photos, and glad you had a good time.

Hey, cool. Yeah it could have been 4:45... who knows. Glad you had a good time up there as well!