• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Bdubs

Finding Partners

So I'm new to climbing, and don't really know anyone who climbs. I'm not sure how I feel about finding partners online, but I'm not really sure where else to go. The mountaineers looks alright but I don't want to take their basic climbing class (I'm taking a class through a guide instead). What should I do to find some partners?

Pretty much all of the partners with whom I have climbed over the past 15 years I have met through this Web site. Out of many dozens of folks, I can recall only three who I would not climb with again. Those are pretty good odds.

So, put up a partner wanted ad and include a brief bio/resume and suggest a few routes that you aspire to. Respond to ads from folks who have similar objectives and experience.

My approach with new partners is to do something casual the first outing, usually just cragging, to get acquainted with each other's habits and strengths. One or two easy multi-pitch trad routes is enough to determine if the other climber is someone I can hang with.

Oh, and by all means avoid Sketchy Dan. He's trouble I hear.

Edited by DPS

Alright, thanks! I guess I just needed some reassurance that finding online partners can work out well

My approach with new partners is to do something casual the first outing, usually just cragging, to get acquainted with each other's habits and strengths. One or two easy multi-pitch trad routes is enough to determine if the other climber is someone I can hang with.

Or J-burg. It is a nice peak I hear. :)