We have no intention of invading North Korea

JGowans

Is it just me or does anyone find it a bit disconcerting to find the President of the U.S. signaling an intention to not invade a country?

Has it come to the point now that whenever a nation is doing something that's not to the liking of U.S. foreign policy, the U.S. has the option to invade them and make them adhere to the policy whether they want to or not? Where is this going? If France places tarrifs on goods tha the U.S. doesn't agree with, will the U.S. threaten Chirac with an invasion? I know that's obviously far-fetched, but where will this all end?

Maybe I just misunderstood the context in which he said it. What do you think?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I just misunderstood the context in which he said it

Yea. It was made in reference to an earlier series of exchanges.

The DPRK feel that, with the "axis of evil" label, the US will go for their country once Saddam is dispatched.

Last summer, when Assistant Secretary of State, Kelly, confronted the DPRK with an accusation that they'd been enriching uranium, they said "yep". Then they said they'd desist if the US provided recognition of their sovereignty and guaranteed non-aggression. But the US said "no deal" until the North Korean's first give up the enrichment program which, in fairness to US diplomacy, the DPRK started in violation of the 1994 agreement. So, it was a question of who would blink first. Bush just did. His bad, IMO.

I think the US should threaten to pull all US troops out of South Korea to get Seoul back in line with supporting our troops stationed there. Then negotiate with China to open their border with the DPRK to let a flood of refugees drain the country. All the while, the US should scramble the North's propaganda broadcasts (practically every home in the DPRK has a box that continually broadcasts rhetoric of the state). Screw the North Korean goverment. They could give a shit about their own people (upwards of 2 million people starved to death there last decade). But, obviously, this scenario ain't gonna happen. The US is backing off its earlier hawkish stance, and the DPRK goverment will continue to survive with food and fuel aid propping it up for who-knows-how-long. I think the situation is best described with the acronym SNAFU (situation normal, all fucked up).