Best lightweight shoe/boot for easy mountaineering

Seraphim

I currently use La Sportiva Glaciers, and have used the Trango S for general mountaineering for a long time.

I currently use these on a lot of day trips, but I am looking for something even lighter that I can use some aluminum crampons with.

For easy 1 day trips (Sahale, Olympus in a long day, scrambles, small Glaciers, etc....), what is a good light weight shoe/boot you guys would recommend?

Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

Edited by Seraphim

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried on a pair of Scarpa Rebels (the regular version, not the integrated gaiter version) a couple of weeks ago and I think those will be my next pair of mountain boots. That way I can keep all of my crampons as step-in only and share 'pons between my AT boots and my mountain boots.

The market is being flooded with ultralight boots that still have a welt in the front or back. Scarpa Rebel, Mammut Mamook, Salewa Pro, La Sportiva Trango EXT EVO Light GTX (wordy), and a few others are extremely light but still work for "real" climbing.

Those are not a big weight savings over the Trango S so it sounds like what you really want is a high top approach shoe.

I have the salewa mountain trainer mid which are pretty light, pretty capable and flexible enough to be more comfortable then a true mountaineering boot on long approaches but just stiff enough to edge or kick a few steps. Bought mine at second ascent a couple of years ago.

If you want to go to a shoe check out the sportiva c-lites which are a great high traction trail running shoe with a super aggressive tread that works well scrambling on loose rock, non icey snow etc. I've used them with yaktrack and kahtoola's for running icy trails and scrambled a fair amount of rock in them but not used full crampons or done anything too exposed.

The one having the most fun.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've been using Garmont Dragontails the past few seasons for almost all of my summer objectives where I might need crampons. I think of it as a lightweight, low top, mtn shoe; somewhere in between an approach shoe and a full on mtn boot. They're stiff and climb/frontpoint well, but won't kill your feet walking on trails. I fit my pair slightly smaller (-1/2 size) than my street shoe for better performance on the more technical stuff. They also fit into a pack or carry on the back of a harness like regular approach shoes if/when you need to break out the rock shoes. Saves lots of space.

They don't have welts for pons, so that could be a deal breaker depending on your crampon configuration.

It's been a great shoe for my needs that fits in between mtn boots and approach-chacos.

The one having the most fun.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've been using Garmont Dragontails the past few seasons for almost all of my summer objectives where I might need crampons. I think of it as a lightweight, low top, mtn shoe; somewhere in between an approach shoe and a full on mtn boot. They're stiff and climb/frontpoint well, but won't kill your feet walking on trails. I fit my pair slightly smaller (-1/2 size) than my street shoe for better performance on the more technical stuff. They also fit into a pack or carry on the back of a harness like regular approach shoes if/when you need to break out the rock shoes. Saves lots of space.

They don't have welts for pons, so that could be a deal breaker depending on your crampon configuration.

It's been a great shoe for my needs that fits in between mtn boots and approach-chacos.

Those are pretty nice. Is this what you were talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmont-Mens-Dragontail-Lite-Approach/product-reviews/B0046HA1EI

They look super comfortable and light weight. Might be perfect for easy alpine objectives. They look like a perfect compromise. Honestly sounds like the best shoe I have seen that is not a full on mountaineering boot.

Probably work best with aluminum crampons?

Edited by Seraphim