[TR] Robinson Mt. SE Ridge - SE Ridge scramble 7/4/2014

Phil K

Trip: Robinson Mt. SE Ridge - SE Ridge scramble

Date: 7/4/2014

Trip Report:

Not much to chestbeat about here, but I thought an update might provide some useful beta regarding timing and what (not) to bring. With questionable looking weather, and wanting to maximize the scenic rewards with maybe a bit of interesting scrambling, my wife and I climbed Robinson Mountain in the Pasayten over the Fourth o' July. It's a worthwhile and enjoyable trip, can be done as a longish one day, overnight, or (in our case) a very leisurely three day venture. Great views of the N Cascades and Pasayten Wilderness areas.

Regarding timing; we seemed to hit it just right. Snowpack this year has seemed fairly heavy for early summer, adjust accordingly. The wildflowers on the approach were just about prefect.

Steep meadow above Beauty Creek, SIlverstar in background.

Beauty_Creek_Approach.jpg

There was enough snow in the basin to avoid a long scree slog, but camping sites were melted out below the tarn. Looking south over approach via Beauty and Robinson Creeks.

Robinson_SE_Basin_copy.jpg

Upper ridge walking and gawking. Fine Whitepine crumholz.

Robinson_SE_Ridge_copy.jpg

False and main summits. Based on the 2007 TR, and taking into consideration that we're old and out of practice we hauled a 30m rope up there. Don't Bother! Also, disregard the suggestion to avoid the lower section of ridge by scrambling the loose slabby gully to climber's left; the directissima is fun, solid and so much more aesthetic.

Robinson_Summit_copy.jpg

Gear Notes:

Competent parties should not need rope, bring whiskey instead.

Approach Notes:

Very reasonable as per Red Fred.

Edited by Philonius

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic