2 jumars with grigri backup

Dandelion

I have found lots of info on jugging with two ascenders and jugging with one ascender and one grigri. However, I can't seem to find any video demos or illustrations on how to use two ascenders/jumars with a grigri backup. It is just simply mentioned in some articles with little detail. This is the system I am more interested in using and I'd like some further info on the setup.

Links and/or explanations appreciated :-)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you'll get better responses from those more experienced, but I think the issue you'll run into is you'll have to be continuously pulling slack through the grigri

Still easier than tying back up knots.

• 2 months later...

The main issue you will find while jugging with a grigri back up is that the lower ascender will tend to have issues sliding up the rope, this is because there is little or no rope weight pulling down allowing for a taut rope that easily allows the cam of the ascender to un-engage during that upward slide. The solution to this is learning to pull the cam trigger to manual un-engage the ascender cam for each upward stroke. The benefits of jugging with a grigri as a backup over any other device is that you are already set up to perform tasks during clean such as a lower out aka ducey or if you needed to repel down to help assist with a stuck haul bag or such.

Using a grigri in the jugging system is also paramount while rejugging to the high point after taking a leader fall. In this case the grigri is only used with one ascender and your weight is always loaded on the grigri rather than the ascender. Why would you want this? So if/when the high point gear that caught your fall blows while ascending you don’t take a fall onto the toothed cam of your jugs… leading to the chop.

This is big wall/ aid crap, not sure if that’s what your looking for.

I could continue to elaborate why the grigri is the tool of choice in these situations if you all wish.

Gri gri backup with two ascenders works great. Like the previous post states, your system is already set up for lowering out while cleaning. Besides, the gri gri will serve two purposes on the wall, belaying and jugging, increasing your efficiency on the climb.

Finally, if the rope you are jugging is running fairly plum with the anchor, there will eventually be enough rope weight below you so that the rope will indeed automatically feed through your gri gri as you ascend, saving you lots of time on the jug.

And like DPS said, manually feeding the gri gri at the start is so much quicker and easier than tying and untying backup knots the whole way.