Arrowhead pk.

AlpineK

My friend Christian and I skied up Arrowhead peak yesterday. There's some nice snow from the last couple storms, but we had to stay in the trees and away from boulder fields since there are still a lot of rocks hidden just under the surface.

We ran into ChrisW, Dave Schultz, and Toast on the mountain.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a good early season ski. Took a nice chunck out of the bottom of my ski. Snow was wind affected powder from the recent strong east winds. I did this tour last year and it was awsome. Has anyone done the run from the ridge down to White Pine creek? The run look sweet! This is a good tour for snow boards, there are only a few small flat spots on the road.

Hey Alpine K note the spelling of my last name. bigdrink.gif

Edited by Dave_Schuldt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Klenke-

I have described this trip on this board before, I think, so a search may yield a more complete description. The Burgdorfer description is, I believe, out of date. Anyway, here goes:

1. Park at the wide spot where the railroad tunnel comes out, east of Stevens Pass, just after the divide highway rejoins a few miles east of the pass.

2. Walk east on the highway a couple hundred yards and head up the logging road departing the S. side of the highway.

3. Follow that loggin road into a clearcut. For Arrowhead, follow it to the top left corner of that clearcut; for Jim HIll, follow it to the top right corner of the clearcut (or make switchbacks directly up to that corner).

4.a. For Jim Hill, follow the logging road rightward from the top right corner of the clearcut, and at the end of the road enter the woods, dropping slightly in a slide area, to cross Henry Creek.

4.b. For Arrowhead, take the logging road up and left from the top left corner of that initial clearcut. Cross a ravine and then head uphill at first good opportunity (you can travel through woods or follow some branching roads) to reach a higher clearcut in a shallow bowl along the creek that created that ravine just mentioned.

5.a. For Jim Hill, climb up brushy slopes on the W side of the creek into the high basin near the top of Jim Hill Mountain. Most parties top out on the ridgecrest NE of the summit. This NE facing bowl often has significant avalanche hazard after a storm cycle.

5.b. For Arrowhead, climb to the top left corner of that clearcut and enter the woods, head left to reach a clearing below a rock outcrop, and climb up and around right side of the rock.

6.b. (Arrowhead) Head up and right again to a second clearing near the crest of the ridge. Climb that clearing (an avalanche path) or stay in woods to the left.

7. Ascend to summit.

Arrowhead is the safer of the two trips if there is an avalanche hazard. The upper basin on Jim Hill has a classic, open ski bowl, though it it has been windy you may find better skiing on Arrowhead then on Jim Hill. Enjoy!