• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Smith

Secret crag..?

So I was hiking around an area near Frenchman Coulee looking for potential projects and I came across several cliffs that look, well, developed...

Really not sure about the etiquette of what is clearly someone's secret crag, but I don't want to jack somebody's project or falsely claim an FA, so if this looks familiar, send me a PM.

Edited by Jacob Smith

Looks like the small section of decent rock in the next Coulee north of Frenchmans. My Friend Aaron Stetzer developed that area about 5 or six years ago. He also did a bunch in Tieton and Banks, before he moved to South Dakota. I'm sure he'll be stoked to hear that somebody found his climbs and are havin fun on them!

I've climbed a few of those cracks. You should probably just climb them and have fun, not worry too much about secret crags or FA's. There's not much left around there that hasn't been climbed before.

Throw some bolts at the top of those things. The rock on top is shit. Take a push broom with you too and clean it off so a top out doesn't slice your belayers throat. Just make sure the bolts are either really long or glue in because the exposed rock at the top of those columns is really weak for the first 2-3 inches of exposed material.

Huh, I guess I assumed that because the double crack in the alcove around the corner had bolts at the top there already were bolts out of sight from the bottom.

Did you climb the crack on the prow to the left of the cracks in the photo as well?

I have not climbed the crack on the prow around the corner, and I don't think the cracks in your photo have anchors at the top.