• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Mercyful Fate

first ascent Exit 38 ice, possible FA

After a cold week in Seattle.What has always been high hanging ice was on the ground on that day (2/9/14) FA ? I dont know. who out there knows. first shot is of leading route CYA with part of the touching down ice in background. the rest of the shots are of leading the touching down ice. 38_ice1.JPG38_ice.JPGice_21.JPGice_31.JPGice_4.JPGice_6.JPGice_8.JPGice_8.JPG

Way to go Dave, wicked look'n FA :rocken: that is one scary look'n runout on an ice pillar that looks like it could go any time :shock: SICK

I saw that pillar from the highway, it looked like it formed because the E wind was so strong, kind of formed slanted to the right :)

I have three grades that I use - sketchy, dicey, and heinous. I'm not sure where Scary fits in - but we'll give you the FA, as it was not a gimmee. Glad to see you are alive for the TR.

I have lived here my whole life, and only rarely see the right conditions and temps that form ice at exit 38, such as "here today, gone tomorrow". Maybe some dinosaurs older than I can confirm.

:tup:

photo credit goes to Mike Massey.

Thanks for the funny comments ! Well if it is an FA how about "The Thing" for a name. Definably a rarely seen thing at that crag or in Washington I guess. Bet that it formed an fell down in the span of a week. Luckily just happen to be there when it was best formed.