Yet ANOTHER physics question

layton

Ok, it's really a geometry question. I've heard of this theory (and actually put it in my first book). But it doesn't make sense. How do you get 30 degrees and 3 degree each additional cm?

Bruce Tremper illustrates it in "staying alive in avalanche terrain".

picture reposted below

Edited by layton

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

an equilateral triangle with the dangling side vertical yields a 30 degree slope.

when the slope is 30 degrees, a equilateral triangle is made and the angles inside the equilateral triangle are 60 degrees. when compared to the horizon (angle of slope in question measured from the horizon) , the pole always creates a 90 degree angle with the 30 degree for slope and the 60 degree inside triangle.

Edited by genepires

a triangle is formed (by the poles for all angle of slopes) in which the bisector of the top angle forms and angle equal to the slope angle. Lets call that angle Z.

using the sine rule, sin (Z) = (length of snow slope from two pole interactions with snow/2) / length of pole. to simplify, lets call it sin (z) = length between baskets / 2 ski pole lengths. to simplify it more, length between basket = sin(Z) * 2 ski pole lenghts

This a labeled version of the sin Z = opposite / hypotenuse.

from this you can put in the length of pole and then plug in z=30, z=33, z=35, ect. to find if that trend is there for your pole length and also if it follows for angles over 45 degrees. (I don't have a good calculator with me now)

I suspect that it will not as the trig is not a linear function. Right around 45 degrees it is somewhat linear so the idea that it will change a fixed amount over a fixed degree change is expected.

the short of the long is that if you are anal about numbers, the idea of a constant degree change over a fixed length change is false. but good enough for having "phun" work.

also, it depends on the pole length too.

also depends on ball sack size.