Leavenworth Ice

TimL

Drove out to Leavenworth today in hopes of finding some climbable ice. If your thinking about heading out there Sunday the only ice you'll find is ice cold beer at Gustavs. Granted others may have different opinion, but the following is what I observed.

Hubba Hubba: Hiked up to the base with the hopes of the ice being thicker than it looked from the road. The central flow was the only thing that looked like it had ice but upon getting to the base there was about an inch of ice, at the thickest places which were few, with no ice touching the ground. For the most part it was thin smears of ice/verglass with snow covering. I would have a problem calling it remotely close to being "in" even for the ambitious. Right and left flows had even less ice. Maybe after a solid cold snap it will go.

Falls across from SC parking lot: Bring goggles, flippers and a snorkel.

Drury: From the road it looked like it was starting to form with varying degrees of ice from bottom to top. Looked like the upper falls had some big holes.

Pencil: Although this is the first time I've ever seen the climb, it looked like it was forming with ice starting at the base and continuing all the way up to the feeder snowfields. Very beautiful line.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...