Stuart Lake Trail Road - campsite thieves

Malloy

On the morning of Saturday Oct. 26th we set up camp at the unmarked campsite after the bridge on the left side of the road. After returning to camp later in the day we discovered that our campsite had been robbed. They stole 2 Marmot sleeping bags, a 2 burner propane stove and several other items. We spoke to a climber named "S" who told us he spoke with 2 suspicious middle-aged individuals who were driving a silver extended cab pick up truck (80's model Chevy or Ford) who were hanging around when they arrived around 1:30pm. Said they weren't camping and had no interest in making conversation. Beware! Would hate for this to happen to anyone else. And because we decided to roll back to the city Saturday night, our climbing companion hit a 5pt buck and totalled her car just 10 miles West of 11worth. What a buzzkill. :anger:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

major bummer. I always fear this even with a basecamp in the BC, but ungodly more so if i'm in any relative proximity to a road.

if you have renters (or homeowners?) insurance i've at least been told mine covers this, assuming your gear cost hits the deductible. (two sleeping bags, stove, etc very well could). It doesn't fix the problem but it helps take some sting out if your ins will cover the replacement costs.