Mountain Apps

JayB

Anyone got any recs for general purpose smartphone apps for tracking, mapping, weather forecasts, snow conditions, etc, etc, etc?

Theres an infinite amount of info out there on Teh Google but it'd be interesting/helpful to hear what people in this niche have found helpful and why.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been real happy with Gaia as a GPS, tracking, route creation app. It's expensive (relatively speaking) but you get what you pay for. You can download for free multiple layer of maps for all of North America and a bunch of other places. Then use these in the backcountry where you have no cellular service.

by the same token there is a program called RMaps (simple) that is free and allows you to download all sorts of maps for offline use (google/bing sat hybrid views, google terrain, USFS maps, etc).

A slightly more complex (I don't like the UI) one that is free is OruxMaps.

I use RMaps and have most of western north america at a high level downloaded in satellite, google terrain.. then in zoomed in areas (wallowas, cascades, olympics) I have max zoom google terrain/sat imagery for where i'll camp, and of course the USGS/USFS maps.

So far use has been fantastic.

I have a free version of Topo Maps which is fine for my back-county use but probably not the best, Ski Tracks is a lot of fun (GPS records your ski activity for the day) Ski Report for resort conditions and of course the Avalanche Forecast. Theadolite is pretty cool for shooting slope grades and whatnot. I think you can find them all in the App Store by searching the text in bold.