Mountaineering Boots.

pdxhiker

I climbed Mt.Adams recently as my first cascade climb and rented Scarpa boots from a outfitter in Portland, end of the climb both my thumb toes were bruised kicking steps in the snow and felt they were too narrow in the toe box area (compared to my Salomon Quest D hiking boots)

Now I want to buy a pair of mountaineering boots which I can use in Winter for snowshoeing break them in then use them to climb mt.Hood in late spring early summer and probably Mt.Shasta. I'm normally 8.5-9 in size with low volume foot, any suggestions on a decent PNW compatible boots.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of la sportiva nepals that I have used on everything from day hikes to climbing Rainier and Shasta. They are a great boot. I also hear the scarpa guide boots are good as well. I have seen a lot of guides on Rainier with them. You can also check whittaker mountaineering site for good recommendations.

Biggest thing in getting a boot is getting the right size. Do not get them in the size you normally wear. You want then at miniumum a half size higher and more likely a full size. I wear a 10 and My nepals are a half size larger at 10.5. They are great going up but my toes get slammed going down. I should have bought them a full size larger at an 11 or even an 11.5

I have a pair a all round lowas that are 11.5 and they are awesome going up and down put are not a full on mountaineering boot. Now to talk my wife into letting me spend another $500 on a pair of boots the right size ;-)

I've been climbing ice and 12-18k mountaineering in a pair of La Sportiva Nepal Extreme's since 2001. I just got a pair of Scarpa Phantom Guide's for the future.

I'll disagree with JMK about size - my shoe size changes only by 1/2 euro size because I'm wearing heavier socks.

I wear around a 9 size in street shoes. But I wear a really thick wool sock as such my Scarpa boots are in the 44.5-45 range. I like lots of toe wiggle room cause toes can swell at altitude. Which is tight beside getting hammer toes leads to frostbite.

BTW I have a pair 45 Scarpa Phantom Guides for sale.

• 2 weeks later...