[TR] Royal Basin to Constance Pass - High Alpine Traverse Route 8/20/2013

Fairweather

Trip: Royal Basin to Constance Pass - High Alpine Traverse Route

Date: 8/20/2013

Trip Report:

Greg and I did another one of the Olympic Guidebook's "high alpine traverse routes" earlier this week. Traveling from our camp in Upper Royal Basin, we crossed over the divide into the incredibly beautiful meadows of Deception Basin, then down Deception Creek and around the back side of Mount Mystery--through nightmarish slide alder--where we emerged in the valley and snowfields north of Gunsite Notch. From here we descended the south side of the notch to a nice meadow campsite at the source of Twin Creek. In the morning we ascended DelMonte Ridge, then dropped down steep, hard scree to Sunny Brook Meadows where we picked up the trail to Constance Pass. From here, we hiked out the Dungeness Trail.

The loop is 27 miles total, with 8 miles of off-trail. Also, the route does not climb Mystery Glacier to its head, rather, it drops below and around Mount Mystery, completely encircling it. Surprisingly, we saw no evidence of recent passage between Deception Basin and Sunny Brook--cairns, boot tracks, etc. Contrary to what I had thought earlier, I don't believe this route is very popular. It doesn't look like Mystery has been climbed much since the Dose Road washed out years ago.

I will say that Deception Basin is one of the most beautiful mountain places I have ever been--particularly the wet, flowery meadow below the Mystery Glacier moraine that is fed by the glacier's terminal lake seeping through its own till. This would be a great place to spend a few days. In any event, I would advise anyone traveling this route to exit the basin on the right side of the creek (below Mount Deception) and then avoid traversing directly over to the hanging valley below Gunsite Notch since we spent more than three hours negotiating less than a half-mile of thick Slide Alder. Instead, I'd recommend giving up another 1500' on talus by descending all the way to the confluence of the two creeks, and then climb back up toward Gunsite. Also, it is nearly impossible to stay on DelMonte Ridge around Point 6666, so you'll have to give up 1200' or so by dropping to Sunny Brook Meadows and then climbing again to Constance Pass via the trail.

In short, this route is more challenging than I thought it would be, but it was really neat to be in such beautiful places that few others see. Total gain/loss is about 9000 feet and there is lots of steep side-hilling on scree/talus, and a lot of big boulder-hopping too. Heavy boots work nice. Ice axe or crampons would be helpful for the snow below the notch, but aren't absolutely necessary.

Marmot in upper Royal Basin

DSCF0202.jpg

Mount Clark emerging

DSCF0226.jpg

Mount Deception shoulder

DSCF0247.jpg

Mount Mystery and Deception Basin

DSCF0275.jpg

Mystery Glacier still breathing

DSCF0304.jpg

Lower meadows Deception Basin

DSCF0309.jpg