K2 tragedy

ZimZam

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I climbed with Marty on big K a dozen years ago. We bouldered around the area too. intense guy. I thought he was American. He was special forces and all too.

That makes the 3rd person on that 2000 trip that was lost in the big range. Serious game.

I worked with Marty for three seasons in Antarctica. Wayne, Marty was American, but had settled down in Christchurch, New Zealand, and guided on the South Island when he wasn't traveling.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll be found, but I find myself tearing up even as I write this. Light candles, folks - two good climbers are missing.

EDIT: Ah f#ck. Just read this - crushed. http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/news.php?url=marty-and-denali-schmidt-reported-missin_137506126

Edited by chris

I did not know them, but here were two good men, doing things the right way in the mountains who have apparently found their end on this earth on K2. I find it difficult to be sad, after watching the video of their Alaskan tour in 2011...

Rest well now.

d

"wise sir do not grieve

it is always better to avenge dear ones

than to indulge in mourning

for every one of us living in this world

means waiting for our end

let he who can achieve glory before death

when a warrior is gone

that will be his best and only bulwark"