[TR] Mt. Adams - South Climb 6/5/2013

Trip: Mt. Adams - South Climb

Date: 6/5/2013

Trip Report:

Duty called, and I plus two coworkers were sent up Mt. Adams, via the South Climb. Been poking around the forums and got some answers for ya'll.

South Climb TH still buried by snow, but Cold Springs TH ready for all sort of action. Skinned to Lunch table the 3rd of June straight from the TH, but the trails melting out fast, so expect hiking to about 6500ft to 7000ft before you can throw them skins on.

The road is whack, but better than last year. The FS was out there last week leveling out the deep ditches made during the Cascade Fire last Sept. High clearance preferred, but those corolla's and honda's will be fine. Leave them low riders at home.

On the 5th, we boot packed up to Lunch Counter. Perfect blue skies, and route finding was easy. Post holing was often. We took our time and arrive at lunch counter around 5 PM. Set up camp with calm skies and no wind, watched the day turned to dusk and twilight.

Route to L.C.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/medium/routetoLunchCounter..peg[/img]

Set out for the summit by 8 AM the following morning. Zigged and zagged to Pikers Peak, staying mainly climbers left. Snow was firm, with post holding seldom. As we gained elevation, wind speed picked up.

Me on Piker's Peak.

kvk_helensbackground..pegmt_adams_route..pegp><p> After rounding Piker

Route up to Summit

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/medium/mt_adams_route_b..peg' alt='mt_adams_route_b..peg'>

Descended down. Snow warmed up and post holed past my knee. Glissaded down Pikers Peak. Lingering lunch at, well, Lunch Counter. Back at car by three.

Poked around and talked to three other parties at summit.

Gear Notes:

Ice ax, crampons. If I had gaitors, I would have worn them!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trip: Mt. Adams - South Climb

South Climb TH still buried by snow, but Cold Springs TH ready for all sort of action.

What is the difference between South Climb TH and Cold Springs TH? I thought they were the same thing.

Curious about this, too. I'm hoping to go up in a couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...