Food storage policy changes at NCNP- effective NOW

JasonG

Big changes are being rolled out this week: http://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/food-storage-requirements.htm

Some negative conditioning of wildlife in BB and other high traffic areas (and certainly better food storage by many visitors) would go a long way in preventing issues, but the Park Service hasn't been too hot on hazing cheeky wildlife. In AK/BC and other areas, I know that this is used to great effect. However, if storage containers are the preferred path, seems like metal lockers at many of the listed locations would be a better course. They have these in other areas of the park complex.

Personally, I've never had an issue with anything other than snaffles in many years of camping in the park.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I've never had an issue with anything other than snaffles in many years of camping in the park.

Me too, and they always go for the shoulder straps on my packs! They chewed up two different new Black Diamond packs, one on the T-F Traverse and one while bivied below NF Sherpa. That one chewed the entire sternum strap right off. Snaffles are the reason I can't have anything nice in the backcountry.

Edited by DPS