Did you climb St. Helens before its eruption?

Link

My name is Lincoln Graves. I'm a reporter for KATU News, Channel 2 in Portland. I'm working on a story for the upcoming anniversary of the Mt. St. Helens eruption. My story focuses on how the mountain was physically changed by the eruption. I'd like to tell that story through the eyes of someone who climbed the mountain before its eruption, and, ideally, climbed it afterwards as well. Please email me at Lgraves@katu.com or call at 503-318-9519 if you can help.

Thanks,

Lincoln

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lincoln an idea for an investigative report might be to dig into the details of the private non-profit Mount St. Helens Institute siphoning off $65,000-85,000 each year in funds from the public to access a public resource, without providing a single service to climbers or skiers.

Permit is $22

Forest service gets $15. They are also responsible for the mountain.

$2 goes to the online system of the permit process and mailing the little piece of tyvek paper to you.

$5 is a mandatory donation Mt. St. Helens Institute. (previous version of MSHI website have called it a donation, they have now scrubbed their site to call it a service fee). They make $65,000-85,000 a year off of this and provide no public accountability to how that money is specifically used. A total racket!

Lincoln an idea for an investigative report might be to dig into the details of the private non-profit Mount St. Helens Institute siphoning off $65,000-85,000 each year in funds from the public to access a public resource, without providing a single service to climbers or skiers.

Permit is $22

Forest service gets $15. They are also responsible for the mountain.

$2 goes to the online system of the permit process and mailing the little piece of tyvek paper to you.

$5 is a mandatory donation Mt. St. Helens Institute. (previous version of MSHI website have called it a donation, they have now scrubbed their site to call it a service fee). They make $65,000-85,000 a year off of this and provide no public accountability to how that money is specifically used. A total racket!

Couldn't agree with this more. Total racket if I've ever seen one. ANY fee to climb that gravel pile is bullshit but Water has it right that not only is this practice unethical, it's illegal. Not that the FS has shied away from illegal activity in the past.

I don't suppose this works real well with the story you've got in mind though.

Climbed the dogs head route in Nov '79 and what is left of that fine mountain 4 times since. I would consider helping you if you aquiesced to Waters request...

The man has a point...

d

Edited by dougd