another responsible gun owner

rob

Look, we need to stop talking about guns, guns are irrelevant. People are the problem, and they'll still kill just as many people without guns. In fact, more people are killed by cars than guns, so maybe we should get rid of cars first.

Morans

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be an as yet undiscovered 'gun center' in the American brain - one that shuts down the frontal lobe whenever anyone suggests that we might have a wee bit of a gun violence problem.

Confusion as to what we should do about it is entirely intentional.

Thanks RNC, NRA, and FOX!

Now get on back to trashing Gabby Gifford's husband for demonstrating how just about anyone can buy an AR-15.

I guess being awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, an astronaut, and incredibly devoted husband doesn't carry as much weight as it used to in some circles.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Let's see...

The US has 3+ times more gun deaths per capita than any Euro country, about the same as Colombia?

No? Ok, let's see...

Americans own 40% of the worlds private guns, but constitute only 5% of its population?

Oh wait, that's actually a good thing for folks in the business of selling guns.

Shooting a congresswoman?

No, that was a 'people, not a gun' problem.

How about 20 kindergartners?

Nup, serves em right for not being armed...

I must be too entrenched in my beliefs to come up anything convincing enough. Maybe I should switch to an evidence based system.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

How is this confirmation bias? I think maybe you don't know what that word means? Confirmation bias has to do with selectively favoring information that supports your opinion, or interpreting it in a biased way.

Are you suggesting that an unbiased, non-selective search of the data will indicate that gun violence actually *isn't* a problem in America, therefore indicating that these sorts of article are just confirmation bias?

On the contrary, by almost any reckoning, America's gun violence problem is raging.

More confirmation bias?

Let's see...

The US has 3+ times more gun deaths per capita than any Euro country, about the same as Colombia?

No? Ok, let's see...

Americans own 40% of the worlds private guns, but constitute only 5% of its population?

Oh wait, that's actually a good thing for folks in the business of selling guns.

Shooting a congresswoman?

No, that was a 'people, not a gun' problem.

How about 20 kindergartners?

Nup, serves em right for not being armed...

I must be too entrenched in my beliefs to come up anything convincing enough. Maybe I should switch to an evidence based system.

what a bunch of confirmation bias ;)

How is this confirmation bias? I think maybe you don't know what that word means? Confirmation bias has to do with selectively favoring information that supports your opinion, or interpreting it in a biased way.

Are you suggesting that an unbiased, non-selective search of the data will indicate that gun violence actually *isn't* a problem in America, therefore indicating that these sorts of article are just confirmation bias?

On the contrary, by almost any reckoning, America's gun violence problem is raging.

More confirmation bias?

No, that's not what I'm suggesting. Simmer down.

More confirmation bias?

No, that's not what I'm suggesting. Simmer down.

Oops, my mistake then. What did you mean?

The sad thing is, most (responsible!!!) gun owners actually support the kinds of reform (background checks, magazine limits) being proposed.

The moneyed few versus the rest. An American Tradition.

Fortunately, gun ownership in Merka is on the decline - which is why the gun makers are freaking out in the first place.

SELL THAT SHIT.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Some examples of genocide (numbers are estimates since the dead are hard to interview).

-4 million Jews in WWII

-2.6 million Soviet sanctioned ethnic cleansing deaths

-1 million Cambodians

-500,000 in Rwanda

-Who knows how many in the Middle East including honor killing of women.

People just kind of suck sometimes and violence has been part of our history for a long time. We in the USA just talk about it more.

No Americans with any gun involved. It is time to start paying attention to the global issues and not our relatively small situations numbers wise.

Edited by matt_warfield