Gear storage system

Nick Jones

I'm trying to figure out what the best way to store my gear is. Right now my gear is divided up into plastic bins and I just move it from the car to the house and back for trips.

Has anyone seen or built a flawless system that makes organizing gear on trips easy and can be removed at home to store?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on what kind of gear you're organizing, if you're wanting to spend money, and what kind of trips you're taking.

Plastic bins are great for keeping your rarely used specialty gear fresh. Just make sure to get the bins with the burping seal. They also look like Christmas to thieves looking around the back seat of your car/van.

When I used bins to head back and forth to the crag, I found myself taking way more crap than I needed. Then just worrying about it getting stolen while I climbed. I use bags mostly now, with some stuff just perma-packed up since there is no use unpacking if I'm just headed out again in a couple days.

I've seen some nice rack systems and pegboard stuff if you're into explaining to houseguests what all the stuff is for. Post pics on Facebook and MP for bonus points in gear whoring. Racks make it really easy to get in there and fondle your equipment.

The best organizers seem to figure out a system which best meets their specific needs and the vehicle they find themselves in.

Post up a little more specifics and I'm sure you'll get some ideas and pictures of gear closets.

Yep, and you already own one. It's called a backpack. ;-)

Seriously though I generally have a backpack with most of my little stuff (headlamp, first aid, sunscreen, etc) in the top pocket. I keep my "cragging" rack on a multiloop gear sling (that I never climb with) and I just add or subtract a couple things for the trip and throw the sling in the pack. Helmet/harness/shoes live on a shelf. The less time I have to spend packing/unpacking the better, being "ready to go" outweighs being "organized" with everything in it's right place on the shelf. I rarely forget anything (mental checklist helps).

Here is some other great inspiration for actually building storage areas fro Wenatchee Outdoors (several of those featured post here): http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/15242 and another article from Outside on the same folks: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/The-Ultimate-Gear-Storage-Facility.html. Have fun!

I don't have that much gear, but I have tried multiple systems for gear storage. I think two important considerations are how frequently you will use your gear and your living situation (storage space, frequency of moving). For many people, they can't just dedicate some wall in their garage to gear storage. Such as myself, who rents a room and can't use the garage.

When I didn't have a whole lot of gear, I just used a large bin without much organization inside. Just threw stuff in and called it good. But then I started acquiring more stuff, so I got the wire racks you can customize from ClosetMaid, which they sell at Home Depot. This worked, but it was expensive, kinda became a gear shrine, and it took up more space than it really needed to for me. Plus, I might be moving soon, and I don't have much storage space.

Things came full circle again when I recently decided to do a plastic bin approach again, using two bigger bins (40 liters each) with smaller bins inside organizing things as necessary, in order of use frequency (more frequently used things on top or in smaller bins inside). For example, I have a smaller plastic bin on the top of one of the bins with all of my regular use small items like a first aid kit, Gu, headlamp, etc. Sleeping bags still hang, but the bins take up less space and can be moved easily. I think this works for me, though it's a tradeoff of space for accessibility.

Who knows, maybe I'll circle back to racks or something else. But with ~10 outings a year, it's a tradeoff. One other thing that's really nice: adding hooks in the ceiling to hang wet stuff after returning from a trip. Then when it's dry you can just throw it in the bins and it's ready to go for the next trip.

Edited by SeanO

Did someone say Giant Sperm Hook?

P1020616.JPG

Rope rack made from a curtain rod and WWII surplus pitons:

P1020617.JPG

The down bags, puffies, and packs hang in the closet, shoes and boots in a bookshelf, and the rest is bins, one of which is marked 'NOW' - meaning clothes for the current season, the other has my essentials.

Then there's a rock bin, a ski bin, an off season bin, and a camp food bin.

Confused yet?

I like the metal wire closet shelves from Home Depot. Plastic bins go on top and gear clipped with beaners hangs underneath. Also some coathooks screwed down to wood strips on the walls to hang harnesses, rack etc. The closet obviously for coats etc and a medium chest of drawers for socks, gloves, polypro etc.

The key to all this is an 8 foot plastic folding table for staging before packing. The key to not forgetting anything is to have it all layed out in one place before it's packed.

My climbing varies so much that it's hard to leave stuff packed. Road trips usually entail a couple of big duffles.