G14

Lambone

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have the step-in version with the rear's of the g10L's - very light ~30oz (thats almost a pound light than sabertooths shocked.gifshocked.gif). i didn't get the newmatic version as i've always used grivel's step-ins on my newmatic boots (trango plus and trango s). i used them last week in RMNP - i think the rambocomps might stay in the closet this season tongue.gif.

I've got about 15 days using G14s on serac ice ranging

from plastic, to bullet proof and brittle. I also used them

on some straight forward glacial walk-ups. The version

I'm using has the yellow plastic toe lanier.

The verdict: The best all round technical crampon I've used.

They'd be my first choice for all waterfall duty, all hard

alpine duty where mixed or hard ice would be encountered.

The only terrain where they'd slip from the gold standard

position would be for extended steep snow or pure drytooling

(I prefer a centered mono).

Downfalls of G14s: Snow balls up between the front point

rails (as expected). Get the antibotte. If used in mono point

mode the mono is off-set. I'm not convinced the T section

on the front points actually helps do anything except shatter

a bit more ice.

Compared to Sabretooths: G14s are in another league altogether.

I tried the Sabretooth and just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Crampons I've used heavily or owned: SMC rigids, Chouinard

rigids, Footfangs (2 pairs), Lightfangs, Grade 8 monos (3 pairs),

Rambo comps, DMM Gladiators, Grivel 2Fs, Simond Pitbulls

GB

G14 vs Sabertooth? I had the same dilemma when buying a new pair of crampons, I have not used the G14's but when I was shopping/asking around I was told that the sabers might be a better "all around" alpine crampon, as the horizontal points may have less of a tendency to shear in questionable or thin, alpine situations, whereas the G14's might be better suited for waterice and mixxxed techy bidnass. This was what I was told so take it for what it's worth. Whenever I'm gettin' down to the anal nitty gritty of techy info I just think "people have climbed much harder stuff with considerably less advanced gear", that usually calms me down to the point I can make a simple decision.

I'm still not sure if the sabers were the right choice, but I would like to try out one on each foot and see what I like better.

freeclimb - you are right. i meant the bionics ~43 oz. as for the sabertooths, i'd still take the 5 oz and vertical front points any day.

fishstick is right - get the antibotte plates. bought the crampons from europe for ~100, now i'm looking at $30 for the antibotte here in the US mad.gif. as for climbing vertical ice - no problem. oh, and you can walk in these wink.gifwink.gif.

whereas the G14's might be better suited for waterice and mixxxed techy bidnass

The Grivel catalog has a range-of-use chart for their crampons. It claims the G14's "perfect" uses are: "ice falls and goulottes" with its additional "suggested" uses being: "classical and technical alpinism" and "modern mixed, dry tooling and competition".

I have had Sabertooths (frontbail) since '98 or so. they are now all rusty, dull, and beat to shit...but they rock.

Thing is that I want a neumatic to see how it is to climb ice in the Sportiva S. I guess when I think about it, I don't really want two pairs of Sabertooths...too bad they don't convert.

Crampons I've used heavily or owned: SMC rigids, Chouinard

rigids, Footfangs (2 pairs), Lightfangs, Grade 8 monos (3 pairs),

Rambo comps, DMM Gladiators, Grivel 2Fs, Simond Pitbulls

Ladies and Gentlemen ... I give you the Emelda Marcos of the Ice Climbing World ...... fishstick !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the chance to use the neumatic G14's for five straight days of climbing in Mt. They kick ass!

I used them with Sportiva S's and monopoints. They worked great on everything from grade 2-5 ice, from 1-4 pitches. The set-up did tire my ankles and feet out faster than big bots. But it was great to climb without 5 pounds on each foot. The flexible ankles made it easy to french step and rest, yet frontpointing was no problem.

One thing that is kind of a drawback with the S boots is that they are not waterproof. So it is essential to dry them out each night by a heater. But with the right socks they were warm the whole time, and it was down into the teens each morning.

Anyway, this is a great set up for ice cragging, and I'd highly recomend it. I will be using the combo from now on. bigdrink.gif