Advice, please

Purple Drake

Hello All,

I am newly registered here at CC, although I have lurked for a while. I would like to find similarly minded climbing partners (or, join in a group where I would be a good fit). I need your advice.

I am a reasonable fit (1/2 marathoner), on-again & off-again "climber." I have climbed extensively in Japan and New Zealand (years ago), always in a party, never solo. My only experiences here in the PNW (other than Rainier a few years back) are summertime climbs of Mt. Constance (8 times this past decade....I know what you are thinking, but she is close to home).

I have all the gear for alpine ascents, but am rusty on extraction. I am not a rock climber, so I would need to go over rope work again (and again?).

I would really like to climb in the Cascades, but don't really know where to start, and have no partners to speak of. I am able and willing to do my part--no freeloading.

If it helps, I am in the wine business...

All ideas welcomed.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mountaineers are a group where you could get started or at least meet some people. Climbing gyms are also a rich target source for meeting people.

You may get some action from this site but it can be hit and miss until you get to know the folks. It is a good idea to be registered instead of lurking. Be sure to keep track of the Partners thread. And offering ivan some wine could get you a jump start one way or the other. :grlaf:

If you have a few bucks, taking a course from a guide service would give you a fast start on learning new skills. Check the ads on this site for a start.

And go shmooze with staff at climbing shops who are rich with information and experience.

Go get some. Eventually you can fill your rolodex and increase your skills.

Edited by matt_warfield

FYI... As a board member from another club... there are some others out there! :-)

Mountaineers,

Washington Alpine Club,

Boeing Alpine Club,

Bushwhacker Climbing Club,

ETC.

Each of them offer some courses, but have memberships who like to socialize and climb.

I heartily suggest our guiding community as well. We have the best guide community in the world - here in WA:

American Alpine Institute

Alpine Ascents Inc.

International Mountain Guides

North Cascades Mountain Guides

Northwest Mountain School

KAF Adventures

International Sherpa Guides

Mountain Madness

Rainier Mountaineering, Inc.

Pro Guiding Service

That's a pretty damn impressive list for the state of Washington (and I'm sure I missed a bunch).

Go get some instruction, like Matt said. Awesome stuff there.

Oh and the instruction at Vertical World is top notch. Can't vouch for Stone Gardens but it's probably just as good!

Hi Ivan,

Only my right knee is old. Everything else is "good as new."

I need other wine drinkers. I mis-calculated this fall on a climb up the Mountaineers' Route of Whitney. I brought 3 liters for a party of four, and but had no company to consume. I don't over-imbibe, but like to relax after a day's worth of strenuous work (no drugs for me, even Ibuprofen, &c.).

Kitsap Co.

PD

3 liters of burgundy usually lasts me till at least noon most weekends :)

kitsap's a long haul from vantucky, where i hang my helmet, but if'n you come south for a climb gimme a holler, and i have been known to try my hand in the mighty, mighty n cascades :P

And you can save the rest in the glass jug with a handle till later.

I heartily agree with Cale's thorough response.

If in the outdoors, glass for wine is too heavy. Needs to go in water bottles or plastic soda bottles. But gin is lighter for the effect. I'm not admitting anything though. I probably read it on the internet.

Edited by matt_warfield

If in the outdoors, glass is too heavy. Needs to go in water bottles or plastic soda bottles. I'm not admitting anything though.

But I am an alcohol omnivore and willing to adapt to any current conditions. :grin: I have no comment on drugs. :crazy:

burgundy in the big desert :rawk:

spaceshot9991.jpg

touchstone9993.jpg

And you can save the rest in the glass jug with a handle till later.

I heartily agree with Cale's thorough response.

If in the outdoors, glass for wine is too heavy. Needs to go in water bottles or plastic soda bottles. But gin is lighter for the effect. I'm not admitting anything though. I probably read it on the internet.

Thanks to all for the advice and comments. This is very entertaining!

Yes, as we get older, we realize that glass is heavy (although Zurbriggen carried a bottle to every summit, drank it, and then left a note...). Bag-in-box (sans box) is very convenient.

I will look into the many groups in the Seattle area.

PD

I like the idea of the boxed wines not only for outdoor practicality but to reduce the environmental impact of all the glass. I know snobs won't agree but I did spend $137 on a bottle for my 4th honeymoon. It didn't work as I am again single. I am detecting a pattern. :rocken::wave::cry::moondance:

Edited by matt_warfield