old school climbers vs. sport climbers

MysticNacho

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct Forrest.

I don't slander in all seriousness unless someone is really asking for it. Go climb your rock for all I care. I am in my world too, flailing on 510a. It's pulling on a piece of stone but yes it seems competitive.

Of course when I hear people brag to me they lead solid 5.10 then well I usually expect them to lead a climb like Zcrack or Slow Children unless they mentioned they climb in the gym or on bolted routes.

[true story] K is a fictional name.

I took "K" out climbing earlier this year. It was our first outing. "k" told me he leads 5.11. "K" onsighted 5.11 at the Deception Crags. Then I take "K" to Little Si and say here is a 5.10a crack go for it. "K" aided the pitch by hanging on gear and pulling on it. Personally I thought the 5.10a was 5.9.. Have you ever heard of this situation?

[/true story]

It definitely does not take a work of genius to rock climb by any means crack or bolted. Although the bolted climbs are usually well spaced and anchors preplaced on good rock for most climbs. While some anchors on cracks could be rps to cams behind expanding flakes..

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Like at Vantage?? Spokane limestone?? Mt Si?? There's good rock there?

Sure is wink.gif They smash away the loose shit with hammers many times or even glue the stuff back together like at Deception.

I hear it wears the batteries out on a drill more at deception than on granite.......

[This message has been edited by Cpt.Caveman (edited 10-04-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by Matt Anderson:

Actually, Si and 38 have far bettter rock than the crap at index or squamish. The granite might be solid, but the only way to get any decent moves on it is to put them there. At least with 38 and Si, the trad climbing is safe because the cracks are bolted.

Matt I dont know what you mean? The rock at Index is superb and holds gear. Deception Crags is a roadblast. I once saw rocks rocket out of the sky down on the area before We Did Rock. Now tell me that aint choss dude wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Matt Anderson:

Actually, Si and 38 have far bettter rock than the crap at index or squamish. The granite might be solid, but the only way to get any decent moves on it is to put them there. At least with 38 and Si, the trad climbing is safe because the cracks are bolted.

Hee hee. This fish ain't taking that hook.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

That area just amazes me! It has so much rock. BTW germane to this thread didn't a pair of climbers fall to the ground off of one of those long "sport" routes?

In Canmore, when??

The big issue on those lines is anonymous bolt removers taking a few bolts in a row off like the 8th or 9th pitch and sport climbers who can't hack the runout or place gear having to back off... frown.gif not that i condone such actions but its kind of funny, "MOMMY there is 20 feet runout to the next bolt, we go home now!"

Peter Puget:

It seems one could asert (using logic) that if a climb is over 50% bolted it is sport climbing with intermitent trad. If the opposite were true, it would be trad with intermitent sport. Kind of like determining if bigfoot is a primate or human, but, different.