Post-PatrioEjacula Memorial Day Reality Check

prole

According to your graphic, "poverty" was defined as being more than 50% below national median income. They claim the median has been "equalized" but I'm not sure how they did that.

It's true -- America has lots of problems. It's still awesome, though, and I like living here.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to your graphic, "poverty" was defined as being more than 50% below national median income. They claim the median has been "equalized" but I'm not sure how they did that.

It's true -- America has lots of problems. It's still awesome, though, and I like living here.

It's not enough to agree there are problems! You have to mock patriotism first (or anyone happier than you), then fervently wring your hands, then act all smug and self-righteous.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/sep/6/20060906-100020-4785r/

Most of these numbers come from the Heritage Foundation, so they're questionable, but still interesting

The official poverty measure counts only monetary income. It considers antipoverty programs such as food stamps, housing assistance, the Earned Income Tax Credit, Medicaid and school lunches, among others, “in-kind benefits” — and hence not income. So, despite everything these programs do to relieve poverty, they aren’t counted as income when Washington measures the poverty rate.

In 2002, the federal government spent $522 billion on low-income assistance programs. But $418 billion was not considered cash income and not included in calculating any family’s income. Did that $418 billion do nothing to alleviate poverty?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/sep/6/20060906-100020-4785r/

Most of these numbers come from the Heritage Foundation, so they're questionable, but still interesting

The official poverty measure counts only monetary income. It considers antipoverty programs such as food stamps, housing assistance, the Earned Income Tax Credit, Medicaid and school lunches, among others, “in-kind benefits” — and hence not income. So, despite everything these programs do to relieve poverty, they aren’t counted as income when Washington measures the poverty rate.

In 2002, the federal government spent $522 billion on low-income assistance programs. But $418 billion was not considered cash income and not included in calculating any family’s income. Did that $418 billion do nothing to alleviate poverty?

So if we double the funding for these programs, the poverty rate remains the same. And progressives can still whine as much about how bad it is, as if nothing got better. :noway:

Interesting statistic there Prole. But what can we do about it? I mean, USA second place? I say, not acceptable! But we need solutions. Anybody? Seriously, to take that number one position away from Romania, what can America do? Raise its median household income? Increase the percent of its children living in poor households? What's the answer? Of course, I'm being rhetorical here, while we already know the most expeditious tactic. It's tried and proven.

The children need to take some personal responsibility.

too many children, if you ask me. I saw some women with like 9 kids the other day. WTF? Are the orphanages empty already or something? She was really fat and ugly, too -- I can't believe she got laid at least 9 times.

Oh, are we talking about homeless highway panhandlers? I thought we were talking about families with children surviving below the poverty line. You must be losing the argument. Unless you're saying that most impoverished children belong to the urban homeless (not true, btw, most impoverished children live in rural areas)

Edited by rob

Right, Prole forgot about the tried and true argument that if they need food stamps and housing assistance, they can't possibly be poor. :laf:

I think the argument was that they aren't *as* poor, but you know, whatever

Right, Prole forgot about the tried and true argument that if they need food stamps and housing assistance, they can't possibly be poor. :laf:

I think the argument was that they aren't *as* poor, but you know, whatever

Of that if you increase their assistance, then the poverty stats that prole and j_b get to fling around don't show any difference (improvement).

Yep, you're losing badly.

It's America's poor children that are losing. Oh wait, they either don't exist statistically, are irrelevant because of "human nature", make bank when you throw in school lunch, don't matter 'cause I really, really (heart) living here, etc. etc. What's the debate again?

It's America's poor children that are losing. Oh wait, they either don't exist statistically, are irrelevant because of "human nature", make bank when you throw in school lunch, don't matter 'cause I really, really (heart) living here, etc. etc. What's the debate again?

I don't remember anybody saying any of those things. Are you having an imaginary conversation?

I don't remember anybody saying any of those things. Are you having an imaginary conversation?

It's easier to make yourself look good if you make up both sides of the argument. It's the norm for prole and j-b. It's OK they (unlike the rest of us) 'get it', and only they "care". BTW, fuck your 4% contribution to children's charities, Prole feels it and his endless crusade on cc.com has so much more impact.