[TR] Western wanderings - 5/12/2012

Trip: Western wanderings -

Date: 5/12/2012

Trip Report:

I've spent the last year traveling across the Western U.S. for school and have had a chance to explore some great mountains while I did it. The trips started last Summer with a trip to California.

P7262333.JPG

On the previously unknown to me NWF of W Shepherd's Crest. My buddy Dr. J likes to find the "overlooked" climbs and then suggest we go do them. The solidity of the routes found by this method has varied dramatically, but it has always led to fun adventures. Shepherd's Crest was good by every measure.

P7282468.JPG

A little more mainstream, the South Face of Charlotte Dome.

P7302572.JPG

Ultra mainstream on Cathedral Peak, the good Dr. was crying a little bit on the inside to have to resort to something so close to the road, but we took a line well away from the other 20 or so parties and he smiled the whole way up.

1002110822.jpg

Granite Peak, MT. Great peakbagging trip in what looks like the premier mountains for alpine climbing in Montana.

1023111447a.jpg

Middle Teton from the top of the Enclosure. Another peakbagging trip in an awesome alpine setting.

1111110723.jpg

Managed to run up Hood a few times as well, the Old Chute on Veteran's Day.

1217110730.jpg

Illumination Saddle from the Reid Headwall later in the Winter.

IMG_00051.JPG

Ending up spending a few weekends in Bozeman hanging out with old friends and making new ones.

IMG_00271.JPG

Made it out to Cody for more ice. Two ice trips out that way and still lots on the list.

Anchorage was a spectacular place for climbing and skiing.

0218121541.jpg

the NWF of O'Malley

0226121125a.jpg

Eklutna Canyon

0310121157a.jpg

Indianhead Peak

0219121256.jpg

Turnagain Pass

0316121718b.jpg

Flattop

Idaho's been good too, great spring skiing above 10000' in the Sawtooths and fun climbing in the Lost River Range.

0407121832b.jpg

Williams Peak

P4153266.JPG

Mount Cramer

P5060018.JPG

Peak 10129

0428121534b.jpg

White Line Couloir on Peak 11308

P5123345.JPG

NF of Borah

So much to do so much to see.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the best part, school provided for my travel to these places and places to live. In return I just have to give them 20 grand a year and 70-80 hours a week of my time. I get one day off most weeks and I put it to use.

I knew you'd appreciate the new sticks Ryan. Also enjoyed you bringing some of that philosophy out again, http://www.skisickness.com/post/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=342&sid=4b62e691ee2ec0765cc8e02c64cebe8a , really liked this post.

Phew, I was worried you weren't going to slow down at all V. I was envisioning you with a BCA airbag strapped to your front still sending. I'll be working mostly back at the UW starting in July, will still have that 1 day a week...

Edited by Z-Man

Phew, I was worried you weren't going to slow down at all V. I was envisioning you with a BCA airbag strapped to your front still sending. I'll be working mostly back at the UW starting in July, will still have that 1 day a week...

yup-yup!

P1080696.JPG

but really, it's just a 15-lb training weight. no biggie :)

see you around!

Good stuff is good stuff, no matter the elevation. I was able to have good 2000' backcountry runs 3 hours door to door from where I was living in downtown anchorage on Flattop, P2, and P3. While I am told that the snow in the Anchorage front range was unusually abundant and stable this late winter, it was nonetheless nearly perfect and soft virtually every time I went out for almost 2 months. As long as I didn't mind missing sleep, with the late daylight hours in that crazy timezone I could still get out once a week after work for the goods. While I enjoy running Tiger when I'm living in Seattle, I thought this was more fun.