Rab Gloves?

ColinB

After the new gen BD Punishers have fallen apart in less than 10 days of climbing, I'm looking for new ice/mixed gloves. Anyone have experience with Rab's line of gloves, either softshell or eVent? Looking at the M14, Alpine and Latoks in particular. Any thoughts on eVent vs OutDry in gloves or the durability of Rab gloves in general? Also curious if sizing is pretty similar to Punishers (wear a medium but usually a large in other gloves)?

Thanks!

Colin

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the Rab Latoks for about 35 days of ice climbing and a bit of alpine this winter. The palm texture on the thumb has worn off but that's likely because I'm too lazy to switch gloves when I belay. They were plenty warm enough, dry, they have great wrist cuffs and are very dexterous.

I have the M14's and Latoks--like them both. I use the M14 quite a bit and they have held up well. I use them for warm days on ice and summer alpine climbs. Durability is OK on the Latok, but not amazing on the palms. I personally like eVent, but outdry is legit as well.

I typically wear L-XL (closer to XL, but my thumbs are short). I choose XL for comfort and L for performance. I have sweaty hands. For 2 seasons (10-20 days each, some alpine):

Rab Latoks, size Large - snug but perfect fit for leading, outstanding for cold leads, eVent keeps my hands drier than any other glove, they dry quickly between leads in my jacket, and have been quite durable. Gripe: the tacky palm, while great for grip on tools, can stick to screws and biners. In my experience, if you don't rappel with these gloves (duh) the sticky palm lasts. *My go-to glove for cold or wet leads.

BD Punishers (previous version), size XL - good fit, but a little loose for leading. My hands sweat a lot in them. I've had good durability. *My go-to belay glove.

BD Impulse, size XL - perfect fit, thin leather-only palm, high loft fleece back for insulation = warmth for mild days on hard leads, outstanding dexterity. Not waterproof, but adequate if kept in jacket and only used for leading. *My favorite lead glove.

The Rab M14 is similar to the Impulse, I think. The M14 would probably be a sweet lead glove as well.

Look at the MH Hydra Pro Gloves. I just got a pair and I think the outcry is the best thing out. As far as durability??? Yet to be determined. The Rab Latok glove has a synthetic palm which is not durable at all....BD impulse are nice as well.

How did you find the fit on the Hydra Pro? I bought the Minus One glove and the finger length was terrible. Maybe it was designed for Caldwell and they didn't stop with just one finger? Also wondering if you have used the warmer Hydra for cold days?

Thanks

I've worn out a pair of the Minus Ones and one of the Hydra as well. Been using them for a couple of seasons. So not the newest versions.

I use a XL in both and found the fit to be acceptable. I use the Hydra almost every where until it gets too cold (very cold?) and then I like the Typhon