Ice Fields conditions

Vernman23

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything is possible, but you are likely too late....for anything that gets direct sunshine like WW or PC. Professors, Lake Louise and Field would be better options I suspect. April is getting long in tooth for Canadian water ice. There are some exceptions, Curtain Call and Nemesis might be a couple because of their locations.

Curtain Call starts to get some sun in the afternoon in late March/early April as does Murchison. I would imagine Polar Circus would be climbable but you'd have to do it pretty much all in the dark. It gets a lot of sun early and stays on it the majority of the day. Professors would still be good, as would Whiteman Falls, like Dane said the Field climbs would still be okay but it's a bit late for water ice.

Hi Dane,

I wouldn't know. I am in Vancouver this winter chained to my computer and a library desk getting edu-ma-cated.

I do know that there has been an insane amount of snow in the alpine in Jasper and along the Parkway this year. It sounds like more a ski traverse type of spring than a alpine climbing type to me, but I think that routes like the Humble Horse and Asteroid Alley will form up really well in late April early May. I had some friends on Asteroid Alley a month or so ago (they wore beacons for the approach) and said it was in good shape and had been climbed recently.