Wake up slaves

kevbone

What is insane is allowing anyone to stand at a burial place, with the most vile signs, shouting, the most vile things at the top of their lungs while families just want to bury their dead, in peace...

Not a matter of preference. It's a matter of basic civility and respect for the grieving, not necessarily the lost. It goes beyond 1st amendment guarantees in my opinion. The 1st was not intended as an anything goes proposition...

I prefer neither. Yes I would cart them all off were it up to me...

d

Oh god, you mean the government gets to decide what is mean and hurtful, and if I'm too mean and vile they'll haul me off? :crazy:

NO THANKS!

They already get to decide which drugs we get to take. :)...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god, you mean the government gets to decide what is mean and hurtful, and if I'm too mean and vile they'll haul me off? :crazy:

NO THANKS!

They already get to decide which drugs we get to take. :)...

They wish, but that hasn't been working out for them. More accurately, they get to decide which drugs it's LEGAL for us to take :P

Obama is no different than republicans.

Only days after clearing Congress, US President Barack Obama signed his name to H.R. 347 on Thursday, officially making it a federal offense to cause a disturbance at certain political events — essentially criminalizing protest in the States.

This is quite a statement (generalization). Whatever this new law actually excludes, expect court challenges. It's how the system works.

As for my opinion on what the westboro baptist church does at private, burial ceremonies across this country, I stand by my opinion that it exceeds 1st amendment protections of free speech. This is not a limitless guarantee. And I am comfortable with the Judicial branch of the US Government deciding the limits of the 1st amendment.

I can agree that carting these folks off for lawfully assembling went too far.

d

As for my opinion on what the westboro baptist church does at private, burial ceremonies across this country, I stand by my opinion that it exceeds 1st amendment protections of free speech. This is not a limitless guarantee. And I am comfortable with the Judicial branch of the US Government deciding the limits of the 1st amendment.

d

certainly not a limitless guarentee, but the whole family is riddled w/ lawyers, and they skillfully stay w/n the generous boundaries of the 1st amendment, and arent' violating private property - in the recent supreme court case they won, for example, they were actually protesting on a public street-corner several hundred yards away from the actual cemetery entrance - pretty slam-dunk scotus decision i thought (w/ my vast legal training of course :grin: )