Kong Grimper approach skis

JDCH

Anyone used these?

I have been struggling to use full length skis with mountaineering boots all season, and its... well, sloppy.

I am 6'2, 220, and I have been using 179 cm atomics with silvretta 404s. Great going up, really terrible going down.

I understand that this is generally the case with skiing in mountain boots, but it looks like these Kong Grimper approach skis could be a bit easier on the way down.

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given up trying to ski in mountaineering boots, and am now just planning to use the AT gear for any ski approaches... much, much more comfortable both up and down.

I know that doesn't help you with the Kong skis but that's just my experience.

I have a pair of the Rossignol Free Ventures which are basically the same thing (99cm and compatible with mountain boots). I've used them for a few approaches and always found I wasn't a good enough skier for the ride down to be much more efficient than slowshoes. I think the main problem is the short skis don't handle variable conditions well, especially with a pack full of climbing gear on. The one really successful ascent and descent was a trip up to Camp Sherman on Rainier with some 130cm skis I put together. If you have consistent corn snow on a moderate slope you can manage more easily and I had a good time. Too icy or too powdery and you are kinda screwed (or need to have more skillz). I think they CAN be useful approach tools but the conditions where they are applicable are more limited. Since I started seriously AT skiing I've been having a lot more fun on real skis and boots and learning to climb a bit in my AT boots.

What boots are you using? I struggle to ski anything steep with my soft Scarpa Phantom Ultra but don't have much problem with my stiff Spantiks.

But then I use shorter skis than you, got a pair of 140 cm Fischer Wahine with Silvretta 500's. As you might know, shorter skis are generally easier to turn with than longer one's, the downside is that with the much smaller surface area you sink deeper in the snow and your skins won't grip as good when your skinning up a steep slope. Sometimes I also keep my skins on for the descent and let them act as brakes