Winter Expedition Skills Schools

mplutodh1

Aside from the schools I mentioned below - are there other winter expedition style skills schools/courses in the area? I originally had planned to look into taking an AIARE Level 1 Avy course and a separate crevasse rescue class but I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a winter school more... it'd be a completely different experience and probably one that would prepare me well for a lot of what the mountains in the Northwest could throw my way weather and conditions wise.

Schools I'm aware of:

- RMI - Winter Expedition Skills $1930 (Includes summit attempt on Rainier)

- Mountain Madness - Denali Prep $975 (no summit attempt)

- IMG - Winter Ascent Seminar $1750 (Includes summit attempt on Rainier)

- Alpine Ascents - Denali Prep $2000 (maybe summit attempt on Rainier)

- NW Mountain School - Denali Prep $1440-2370

If anyone has experience with any of the above I'd also love to hear more about them.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on where your skills are now and what your goals are. A denali prep course is a prep for denali. The skills you learn on a denali prep course may not be functional for your cascade goals.

your money may be better spent on a solid summer mountaineering skill course if that is lacking for you.

I've climbed Baker (with Peregrine) and Rainier(with AAI) and have years of the standard backpacking experience.

I understand the Denali Prep course is targeted at Denali - however I would guess many of the skills learned there can translate to the cascades.

From a goals perspective - my bucket list includes finishing the WA volcanoes, from there - more in the North Cascades (Shuksan, Eldorado, etc) as well as the Olympics.

Part of why I'm looking for the winter is timing; summers are busy and with plans to climb Adams and likely another climb of Rainier already on the list for the summer I'm not sure I can swing a week or two in a school. Have to be careful where I schedule vacation.

Edited by mplutodh1

If you are looking to climb cascades in spring and winter, you should take a avi course and learn to backcountry ski. Maybe a better use of your $2000 is to buy good ski setup and a couple ski lessons at a local hill if you are not a good skier. While I can't speak for all guiding outfits, but I think that a course for avi control is going to be superior to a avi section in a winter mtneering course.

If you are looking for summer climbing skills in a winter time training session, I do not think you will find it. They are completely different situation and might as well be in different continents. The crossover is minimal and not a efficient use of your money. Now if you got lots of extra cash floating around...........

Are your rock climbing skills good enough? Maybe a couple days rock climbing with a guide would do you more good. Same with ice climbing. Based on your goals, basic competency with rock and ice is so much more important than winter climbing skills.