Leavenworth fires.....whats the latest news?

highclimb

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aidan-

I had a permit foe the Enchantments for Labor Day weekend. Needless to say the Forest Service cancelled all the permits. They did offer to refund or give me the same dates for next year. Surprisingly progressive of them.

They said the Enchantments will be closed for most of September and I suspect they'll keep the Icicle closed for a while yet.

Check http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/icicle/ for more info, although I couldn't find a date the closure of the Icicle was to be lifted.

Cavey-

I asked for the same dates next year, so I won't be getting any money back.

While I do normally groan at the restrictions and rigidity of the Forest Service, I do have to hand it to the Forest Service (or more prescisly the good folks at the LWorth ranger station). For these reasons:

1. They called me to tell me the permit had been cancelled and gave me three options: A. A permit for the same # of days in October. B. My money back. C. A permit for the sames date and # of days next year.

2. They called me an hour ago and said that they were opening the Enchantments again Thursday morning (the day my trip was supposed to start) and would I like to still go or save it for next year?

Can you imagine any other govermental agency doing this? Certainly not the BLM (or the IRS for that matter)

Talked to Artie, the matronly campground host at eight mile CG on the phone today. I'm going to pay her the lucre for Bridge Creek CG on Saturday and scope the site proper post inferno. So,IT'S A GO FOR THE FALL ROPEUP SEPT 28-29-30!!!! Be there or be bummed!

Steve,

It should be open. I was in the Icicle today and that section of the road was not signed. The closed areas are fairly well delineated by signs along the road.

Aidan,

There are no restrictions on the Enchantments. The road to Stuart Lake Trail is gated at Bridge Creek Campground. You will have to approach up through Snow Lakes.

[This message has been edited by Retrosaurus (edited 08-31-2001).]

The closures begin just past Icicle Buttress and continue beyond 4th of July. The Duty, etc area looks fine. The burned area looks pretty toasted. Apparently, Snow Lakes trail is open. "No stopping, gawking or rock climbing" in the posted areas.

I think retro meant 8-mile road is gated at bridge creek (for stuart trail, etc access).

No, you're not supposed stop or get out of your car anywhere around there. Whats funny is that the campground is open. I guess you'd be under house arrest. Do not leave your campsite. You must be accompanied by a campground rent-a-cop to visit the privy.

However, a bunch of previously kinda-hidden boulders are easier to spot now. Fuzz Rock is really scorched black.