[TR] Big Snagtooth and Cedar Creek Shenanigans - Standard 6/12/2011

JasonG

Trip: Big Snagtooth and Cedar Creek Shenanigans - Standard

Date: 6/12/2011

Trip Report:

Well, it sounded good on paper. Ski over Kanagroo col, traverse to Big Snagtooth, drop to Cedar Creek and ski to a lake at the head of one of its forks. That was to be the first day. Second day was to be a traverse of the Gardners and out via Huckleberry and Cedar Creeks. Ambitious but doable, or so we thought. Turns out that I needed a bit more conditioning to pull of the second part of it. In the words of Vonnegut, "So it goes."

After a slow ramble up over Kangaroo Col and traverse over to the Big Snagtooth herself, we dumped the skis and booted up the couloir below the chockstone. Ice on some slabby rock had us using the crampons for a short step. The rope came in handy as the ice wasn't too confidence inspiring. Above that, the summit was dry. The dog, being lighter than my fat self, got the joy of doing the shoulder stand onto the summit slab. This was made exciting by the fact that he was wearing tele boots, which aren't known for their smearing ability. Thankfully, he didn't slide back into my face and was able to fix the rope so I could haul my sorry, AT boot wearing self, batman-style up to the summit. Ah, the joys of peak bagging.

We took a few photos and did a couple short raps down into the gulley and back to our skis/snowboard. A quick run into the head of the west? fork of cedar creek and we realized that our plan may have had a few holes. First off, we were already tired from hauling overnight gear nearly to the summit, then we picked the wrong (north) side of the creek. The recent burn made travel much more difficult as there was less snow and lots of debris. It was all we could do to battle our way to the confluence with the main Cedar creek and crash for the night (AKA Camp Confluence). Though there was plenty of wood for a fire, we opted for an early bedtime.

A slow start the next morning and we realized that day 2 wasn't going to happen. So, humbled, we crossed the creek on a wet, but sturdy, log and headed back up the correct (south) side of the creek all the way back to Kangaroo Col. A quick ski and a broken cable later, and we were back at the car drinking beer. A 1.5 day trip, that should have been a one day trip. So it goes. Here are some photos:

Liberty Bell Group

MG_1533.jpg

The Runningdog looks with longing over to Big Snagtooth

MG_1539.jpg

MG_1545.jpg

MG_1553.jpg

On the summit with Silverstar behind

MG_1563.jpg

The Gardners aren't looking so close, another trip.

MG_1568.jpg

A sea of peaks to the south

MG_1571.jpg

In the summit gulley

MG_1576.jpg

MG_1578.jpg

MG_1580.jpg

Cedar creek fun.

MG_1585.jpg

MG_1590.jpg

MG_1597.jpg

Back at Kanagroo Col, why do I feel this tired?

MG_1602.jpg

Gear Notes:

37m rope. Pink Tricam, a few runners, boot crampons, ski crampons in the morning helpful, axe.

Approach Notes:

Kangaroo Col

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic