• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
sandalsclub

Black Velvet Canyon

Has anyone driven a car to the BV canyon trailhead? I'm debating between renting an economy car (with insurance) or an SUV. Thanks.

I was there in March and it was fine with an economy car. Go a little slow. Watch out for burros.

economy car is fine. Watch out for potholes and I don't mean the city kind of potholes but the ones you will want to drive around. I broke some cosmetic fairing by trying to go into it. but what happens in vegas stays in vegas, like the cosmetic parts.

An economy is fine, as said drive slow, use the berm, and watch out for hookers (they like to pull a trick once in a while).

There's a couple small washes to get thru and the last 1/4 mile is bone jarring. I'm pretty sure the insurance ends when you leave the pavement. We lost a wheel cover one year but they didn't ding us for it. And if they try to get you to upgrade 3 times they're outta your class of car and you'll get the upgrade for free!

before returning the car back, I took it to a self wash place to get all the red sand out from the outside and undersides. (in case they find some small issue)

do not have climbing gear with you when you are at the rental desk if at airport and do not tell them you are going on dirt roads. Lie. Rental company almost forced me to upgrade to a suburban (and pay incredibly insane amount for) to be able to go camping in a pay campground. Any dirt road was not acceptable for the economy cars. Lie.